• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Alternator Upgrade

gaogre

Hi. This is my first forum and my first post.

I have a 1984 M1009 that was used by the US Forestry Service in Hot Springs, AR; it's all white outside with a black Silverado interior. It already was converted to 12 volts and had air conditioning installed.
I got it several years ago and intended to fix it up a little at the time, and not drive it much, as my EOTWAWKI vehicle. I started with the starter, which was already giving trouble, replaced / upgraded it with a geared one, and upgrading the cable for it and the battery to 2 gauge. I decided to wait on the alternator because it wasn't totally gone yet.

Fast forward to now. My son is a high school senior, Commander of his MCJROTC unit, and has been nominated to the Naval Academy. So he is using it as an almost daily driver now. The positive post on the alternator came loose inside of the case and it started shooting sparks whenever any pressure was applied to the cable connecting to it. So if I was going to have to replace it, I was going to upgrade it and the cables, too.

I looked for help on this site and others for upgrading, but didn't find much. I looked at several high output alternator sites, Quick Start, Mechman, and PowerBastards. I really liked the higher tech Mechman, but PB seemed to have the highest output at the low RPM (diesel) idle, so I went with them (~$350). On the web site it says: "Direct Fit | Bolt-On | Plug & Play", THIS IS A LIE!
The original alternator is a Delco 10SI style case, 100 amps output and isolated ground, if original military. The isolated ground is necessary for the 24 volt setup, driver side alternator, which is not grounded through the alternator chassis, it has a positive and negative post. If you haven't converted to 12 volts, this won't work and you have to use the military alternators! The PB alternator is a 220 amp, smaller case Delco 27SI (type 100), and will not fit without an adapter bracket. I almost sent it back. Nothing was said about an adapter being needed and nothing is on the site. I just happened to see adapter brackets on the Quick Start site and the A290 seemed to be what I needed so I ordered it (~$45). When it arrived, it fit the alternator (it comes with a bolt and hardware for this), but just barely wouldn't fit the original vehicle bracket, it was cocked a little. A "T" bracket with the top of the "T" a cylinder for the mounting bolt to go through with the original alternator tabs on either side of this cylinder, then into the engine. The A290 had smaller holes for the bolts on the pulley side, about 3/8", and larger holes on the other end, larger than 1/2". I enlarged the 3/8" hole for the original bolt to 1/2" to get it to work. I had to get a new bolt for the adjusting tab of the new alternator (13mm head), as the old alternator adjusting bolt was standard size and bigger. I used another 13mm head bolt on the back of the case as an extra ground connection. I upgraded the cable to 2 gauge also and installed a 250 amp 12 volt circuit breaker on the positive cable before it gets to the buss bar, just in case a catastrophic failure of the alternator ever tried to drain the battery; don't want a fire. It is a breaker like they use for high amp car stereo projects, NewEgg has them for ~$10 (9SIA76H2GT2367). I'm not using any of the original alternator cables, just taped them off. The alternator belt had seemed almost too long with the original alternator (at the far end of adjustment), with the new alternator it seemed almost too short (at the near end of adjustment). But it works!

The main reason that I wanted more amperage is that I mounted a 3000 watt inverter from Harbor Freight where the front battery used to be, using original mounting frame and wired it with a disconnect switch and 2 gauge cables. I wanted an alternator that would have a chance of keeping the battery from draining during use. Haven't had much time to play with this yet though, but it does work.

gaogre

10si

Well, I guess the Forest Service put the 10SI bracket and alternator on for some reason, I thought they were all that way, since I don't have another to compare with.IMG_20150324_243916716.jpg

gaogre

Yeah, a single big battery. I have 2 gauge cables going to the inverter in the front battery compartment. If I ever needed to, I could pull out the inverter and put in another battery in its place in just minutes. I got the highest CCA one NAPA had at the time on hand that would fit, I think it was ~1250 CA. I had intended to get an Optima yellow top, but they were out. I've been using it successfully for years now with the 2 gauge cables and Mean Green geared starter, and it always has started. Also I forgot to mention that the vehicle came with a push button under the steering column and relay for the glow plugs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks