• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 and 5.9 mpgs

Croatan_Kid

I'm not sure how many times I've posted this, but here it goes:

You do not have to lift an M1008 for the Cummins to fit. I can't comment on the M1009. I would assume it would fit just the same.

My motor is about an inch away from the firewall, didn't cut anything to make it fit other than the lip where the floor pan meets the firewall. It was in the way of getting to my bellhousing bolts.

I wouldn't run a GM automatic behind a 6BT. They weren't designed to handle the amount of torque they can put out and such a low RPM. It'd be easier to run a 47rh from a 2nd Gen Dodge.

My NV4500/205 setup isn't much, if at all, longer than a TH400/208.

You can get all sorts of different governor springs for a Cummins. Stock is about 2800 rpm on a VE pump. You can get 3200, 3600 and 4000. Most people go with 3200, that injection pump levels out around 3000.

Comparing a Cummins in stock form and a 6.2, even with a turbo, isn't close. I like the 6.2, they run great, but just don't have any power.

I usually get around 18 mpg with my setup. My truck weighs 6100 lbs, has 4.56s and 40" tires. I can also see 45-47lbs of boost and scare small children. :driver: With 37s, I'd run 3.73s or 4.10s. It'll still cruise down the highway just fine.

Getting the motor in there doesn't require any frame mods. I didn't cut a thing. No driveline vibes and everything works great together. If I put a 6BT in anything but a 1-ton frame, I'd certainly beef it up some.

ODdave

I'm not sure how many times I've posted this, but here it goes:

You do not have to lift an M1008 for the Cummins to fit. I can't comment on the M1009. I would assume it would fit just the same.
Do you not have a crossmember under the engine? If so how close is it to the front diff housing? If not, well.......

[/QUOTE]My motor is about an inch away from the firewall, didn't cut anything to make it fit other than the lip where the floor pan meets the firewall. It was in the way of getting to my bellhousing bolts.[/QUOTE]

Must be non intercooled?

[/QUOTE]I wouldn't run a GM automatic behind a 6BT. They weren't designed to handle the amount of torque they can put out and such a low RPM. It'd be easier to run a 47rh from a 2nd Gen Dodge.[thumbzup]

My NV4500/205 setup isn't much, if at all, longer than a TH400/208.[/QUOTE]

What 4500 are you using? chevy or dodge? The dodge bellhousing is longer than the chevy. what 205? chevy / dodge?

[/QUOTE]Getting the motor in there doesn't require any frame mods. I didn't cut a thing. No driveline vibes and everything works great together. If I put a 6BT in anything but a 1-ton frame, I'd certainly beef it up some.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but im calling bullsh1t on that one unless you have a body lift. there is a crossmember under the engine that Will NOT Fit with a cummins and what about the front crossmember? how easy is it to change your belt?

Not looking to make anyone mad but i am all about clean instals and clean fitment and i dont see some of this posible.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man O Man I LOL on what every one say about an GM TH 400 Trans they were built to handle the tork I ran an 427 and 468 502 and 522 cid 455 w30 osl buick 455 stage 4 kenny bell
the gaser all pump out from 425 ft lbs to 700 ft lbs of tork/
the only thing make me LOL is do know what is tork limiting factor
all of the Dodges still have there problems same as gm transmissions just build on up and run what you want.
as for cummins there is no way I want to run it at high rpm when I build one I run a new build on engine dyno first and after in stall on dyno jet to fine tune all the bugs out.
As for my first cummins in to a chevy truck was in 1984 in K20 and the kit came from CUMMINS it self as kit they offer them in early 1980 as and alt eng replacement for
GM 350ols deisel replacement if you google it you might find it.
I stay stock and get alot of miles out her pump it up and run alot hp it is short lived I use to tractor pull and run compound turbos just wait to you have block bust in to two and have.
Hay od dave I doing a another 3 CUCV CUMMINS this year 1 for my self and 1 in LA and TX
you know what kind of work that goes into thes swaps you been here at my shop I look at detail
and I want to make stock looking right down to dual alts ect.
The new one that will be M1031A4 dually with an allison 2000 6 speed and 5.9 cummins 6BTA
:deadhorse:

Croatan_Kid

Yep, I have a crossmember under the engine. However, the way my particular crossmember is made from 2x3x.250 tubing, it certainly wouldn't clear. That's beside my point though, the company from which I bought my motor mounts also sells a crossmember with them which requires no lift. You could make one a lot cheaper, no doubt.

Mount & member package

Not sure what the intercooler has to do with motor placement. It goes in front of the core support. I even had a mechanical fan until my hand made contact with it and bent the crap out of it. However, it is certainly intercooled. 47lbs of boost wouldn't be much fun without one.

I'm running a Dodge bellhousing/clutch setup, GM NV4500 with a Dodge input, and a GM round pattern 205. Using the stock front driveshaft. Rear driveshaft is 60" long. I wouldn't say it's too long for a K5 unless you went crazy with the amount of lift.

I suppose we'd both be nitpicking, but I didn't cut the frame. I did, however, remove the stock engine crossmember. The frontmost crossmember has a slight notch to let me get the belt out. It's nice and curved and smoothed out. Can't really tell it's been cut. There's no body lift, I don't like them.

Last edited:

Croatan_Kid

I'm not saying don't run a GM auto, but you'd certainly want overdrive. The controllers for the 4L80Es are pretty pricey and somewhat hard to find. You can run a 47RH with no electronics as I'm sure you know. Of course, none of these swaps are cheap...so it just depends on what the person doing to swap wants to spend right?

I know that Allison won't be cheap! I'd love to have one though :drool:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for me I run with what is good for me here is some dealer stuff when I bought my new truck in 1984 year and had a cummins in th400 trans and 3.21 gears front and rear but when the saleman ask me are you going to run a snow plow I said no he did tell me that would snow plow opts had be in 1 ton config.

Attachments

ODdave

Ok, well to most people members of the frame that are rivited to the "frame rails" are "the frame". As far as the dodge bell on the gm 4x4 4500 makes a long trans (i will measure one tomarrow) I may be wrong though. Edit: looks like the bells are witin an inch of each other, I was wrong. The I/C part was a missprint but can you show some pics of your install of the cooler? (mine was a pita!)
P.S. i like that low pro crossmember.

Chris, i gave the [thumbzup] on the 47rh because of the overdrive and the ease of adaptability. Hey, that guy ever make good on the ford next to your garage? or is it up for sale yet?

Last edited:

dstang97

CJtroutt You need to start making build threads here. There is just so much Info we can all learn from you. Share the wealth.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks