• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Banks Turbo Install

K5cucvEOD

I bought this truck in mid '08 before deploying to Afghanistan for a year. While deployed I contacted Banks about purchasing the turbo for my truck. They said that they were planing on phasing out the kit for the 6.2. So, I bought one. I just finished installing the Banks Sidewinder Turbo Kit on my Blazer. Since this kit was designed for the civilian model K5's, there were a few things I had to change. I had to buy a set of the civilian battery trays with the coolant overflow tank, and new battery cables to reach to the other side of the engine compartment. This was a fun project, and the first time I've done anything like this. I will be posting pictures of the progress later. Be happy to answer any questions about the turbo install. My truck runs great!

TW

TyJustice

"They said that they were planing on phasing out the kit for the 6.2."

If this is the case, then maybe if there is enough interest from members on this site. We can work out some sort of group buy and possibly get better pricing for the QTY ordered from banks.

Just thinking out loud.

REGULATOR

Welcome Home K5,

I never get tired of reading about Banks installs and seeing pics..

think most of us are sitting on the fence on weather we want to sink another 2.5k into our trucks...

Bet its a good feeling to have more power under the hood though...

K5cucvEOD

So far the power increase is awesome and I can now get out of my own way on the freeway. I was able to pick up my turbo kit with shipping to Alaska for $2169. Not bad if I say so. I will be monitoring the mpg over the next few months and will keep u posted. The gentleman I spoke with at Banks did say the 6.2 kit would be discontinued soon. I can't do a proper load test on the truck until the roads improve up here.

K5cucvEOD

here are a few pics from the install. the ram air box mounts directly to the civilian battery tray. so you will have to buy civi trays to install the system correctly. I was lucky and got the radiator over flow tank at the same time. Which you will also need. shoot me any ?'s you may have about the pics.

Attachments

K5cucvEOD

The install took me approximatly 3 days. I got myself a nay with a lift at the auto shop on base. Banks gives good instructions, but having never done anything like this before it took me a while to figure some things out. The manifold bolts came out rather easy, after soaking them with PB Blaster. The hardest part of the install was the exhaust. My transmition had been lowered to decrease the angle of the drive shaft due to the 4" lift it has. So that changed the angle of the hole exhaust. Luckily the shop I was at had a 3" pipe bender.

dstang97

just throwing this out there wy didn't you just double up the red tops on to the 2nd tray and leave the collant tank there and fab something for the air box.

How does that oil return work with that lift pump still there i was looking at the picts and couldn't figure it out. I just ordered mine on mon 2096 shipped to ct

K5cucvEOD

I don't think it gets any easier than drilling two holes in the civilian bettery tray and bolting on the ram air. I found the trays at a junk yard and they bolt right in as well. To easy. As for the oil return, Banks has a plate that replaces the plate behind the lift pump. The new plate has a spout hat sticks up for the return line.

TyJustice

So far the power increase is awesome and I can now get out of my own way on the freeway. I was able to pick up my turbo kit with shipping to Alaska for $2169. Not bad if I say so. I will be monitoring the mpg over the next few months and will keep u posted. The gentleman I spoke with at Banks did say the 6.2 kit would be discontinued soon. I can't do a proper load test on the truck until the roads improve up here.

Alaska has freeways...?:mrgreen:

Is this system really worth the money? When you had your first test drive, did you ask yourself the all important question we all ask after a big purchase?

Why did I wait so long?

Last edited:

jag7720

Alaska has freeways...?:mrgreen:

Is this system really worth the money? When you had your first test drive, did you ask yourself the all important question we all ask after a big purchase?

Why did I wait so long?

I did this same install last July and for me, it was totally worth it. Granted, this is a totally subjective question/answer... but If I ever get another 6.2 diesel and I have the money, it will be getting a Banks turbo (if they still make them)

When I bought mine the guy told be they no longer "stock" the kits but they will always be available on a "made to order" status.

$2169 shipped is about what I paid... you can get them a bit cheaper from someone on the list... but I like having a phone number to call banks direct... and I have a few times... but that is just me.

As far as the batteries, you only need to change the front tray... I bought a new one from LMC and swapped it out... works great

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/36205-banks-turbo-i-bit-bullet.html

K5cucvEOD

Roadways are the most common ways to move about in the US. So i would vinture to say that the largest state in the Union would have a couple of roads.

I would say that every dime i spent on the kit was worth it.