• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Battery charging

SMorgan

Hello,

I have a question regarding the charging charging of the two batteries in a M1009 K5 Blazer. At first please excuse my english, it's not perfect , we come from Germany . A friend of mine owns a Chevy K5 for some years and has a little bit trouble with the batteries , they don't last as expected , he replaced the two years ago and nor it seems they are scrap again. Because severly times the power of the batteries wasn't enough to start the engine whe installed a charging unit with y plug on the slave receptacle socket in the front to charge booth batteries with 24V. Afterwars maybe not a good idea because if the batteries don't have the same charging status the could be damaged of overloading or not sufficient charging . So the idea was to load every battery with a single 12V charging device . But when I looked at the wiring diagram ( attached to this message) I learned that Generator 1 serves Battery 1 ( Front) , but Generator two serves not only Battery 2, but booth batteries . But how can Gen2 charge two batteries ? It's minus is not connected to ground , but to a seperate harness connector , where Batt 1 and Batt 2 are connected ( Minus to plus ) , so how can one Generator load two batteries. I thought that every Gen is loading its associated Batterie with 12 V ?

Thanks - Tommes

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello,

I have a question regarding the charging charging of the two batteries in a M1009 K5 Blazer. At first please excuse my english, it's not perfect , we come from Germany . A friend of mine owns a Chevy K5 for some years and has a little bit trouble with the batteries , they don't last as expected , he replaced the two years ago and nor it seems they are scrap again. Because severly times the power of the batteries wasn't enough to start the engine whe installed a charging unit with y plug on the slave receptacle socket in the front to charge booth batteries with 24V. Afterwars maybe not a good idea because if the batteries don't have the same charging status the could be damaged of overloading or not sufficient charging . So the idea was to load every battery with a single 12V charging device . But when I looked at the wiring diagram ( attached to this message) I learned that Generator 1 serves Battery 1 ( Front) , but Generator two serves not only Battery 2, but booth batteries . But how can Gen2 charge two batteries ? It's minus is not connected to ground , but to a seperate harness connector , where Batt 1 and Batt 2 are connected ( Minus to plus ) , so how can one Generator load two batteries. I thought that every Gen is loading its associated Batterie with 12 V ?

Thanks - Tommes
I have two chargers. Just dumb luck... Before that, I would clip a charger onto one battery - charge it for several hours, then swap to the second battery and do the same.

It might also be beneficial to know that your batteries are good. Here in the states, you can drop by Auto Zone or one of the parts places and have them charge and load test your batteries for you - no charge.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,

Well it doesn't show it in the schematic that the front battery is hooked up to the block on the firewall and connected to the negative cable of the rear battery...intersting that I knew how that block was wired but never thought that it wasn't on the schematic...that block is fed from the drivers side alternator. The passenger side alternator is hooked to the 24 volt block on the firewall. I'd need pics of under the hood of your truck to see how it's wired. The drivers side alternator has to be an isolated ground case. As far as batteries going bad over a 2 year period...what size battery are you using? Group 31s are what you should have. Also do you have the resistor hooked up for the glow plugs still? Have you checked if the alternators are putting out 14.5 + - volts each. These trucks are extremely simple and I think you'll have no problem figuring this out since you know how to read the schematic already. Post pics when you get a chance!
Also you show a wire coming off the b+ of the passenger alternator that I don't have in my tm...what code is on the lower corner of your tm for page number? Wonder if I have a older version...it's for the diagnostic plug.
Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks