• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Blues

L.Gaston

Hey guys. I have quite a dilemma with the ole M1009. She has been progressively getting harder to start. Now she hardly turns over at all; very very slowly. Not nearly fast enough to even think about starting the engine. First, we thought it was the batteries, tested them and they were both spot on, putting out just over 12V each. After the batteries were deemed to be good, we decided it must have been the starter. I replaced the starter with the one out of the parts M1009, which is nearly new I might add, and it still did the same thing. It would turn over, but very, very slowly. I was just checking to see if any of you guys had any ideas of where to turn to next. I am clueless. Thanks!
Lincoln

KsM715

Did you test the batteries under load? Bad batteries can show 12v with a dc meter but drop to near nothing when loaded down.

Capt.Marion

Did you check any and all of your wire connections? One remembers the adage that is so true with military trucks... "you can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground"

Milbikes

I just went through this with two trucks. The batteries would show 12.38 volts on the volt meter, but would turn the truck over really slowly. I knew they were old. I put in new batteries, and man, what a difference! They turn over like lightning! My M1008 was starting with 6 bad glow plugs with the new batteries in it. When I put the plugs in, it started even faster.

I have put an 8 year old battery on a charger, and got it to read 12 volts, and then have it go dead as a doornail when putting any load on it.

You need to have your batteries tested under a load before you start throwing money and time into the truck without really knowing the full picture. Bring them to Napa or other auto parts store or battery dealer of your choice, they can test them. Diesel engines NEED strong batteries to start.

3dAngus

If all you're getting out of a 12vdc battery is 12v, that ain't good.
Fully charged and new it would be closer to 13.6-13.8vdc.
Well used and fully charged would be closer to 12.8-13.4vdc

KsM715

OK now if the batteries test out good the next thing I would look at would be the starter. My little New Holland tractor had the same symptom as you describe, starter turning slower and slower each time and it turned out the starter was going bad.

L.Gaston

OK now if the batteries test out good the next thing I would look at would be the starter. My little New Holland tractor had the same symptom as you describe, starter turning slower and slower each time and it turned out the starter was going bad.

That's also what I thought, so today, I took the old starter out, and put the nearly new one out of the parts Blazer in. It still did the same thing, so I am hoping its my batteries.
Lincoln

skark_burmer

Check your cables. Like others have said you need to test the batts under load. Once you do that it sounds like you have a bad/loose/corroded connection somewhere.

Once you figure out (or replace) your batteries just go ahead and replace all the cables. Its an easy job, costs only a few bucks and if you use soldered on ends and welding cable you will have a solution that will last you till the cows come home. Even with stock cables in good condition you'll be suprised how much faster the starter will crank over with a heavier cable. (ie, less resistance)

Good luck.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Your batteries are not fully charged. At full charge you should get about 13.5 vdc, NOT "just over 12 volts". Charge them back up and check the output of your alternators by putting a volt meter across each battery with the truck running.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks