• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Brake & back up light help

tommyd

Hello folks,
I just found this forum and registered. I recently purchased a 85 M1009. It actually runs pretty good and now has 32K miles.

I have many questions, but need help resolving this issue first. Today I was pulled over due to no brake lights. I was actually coming back from the parts store with a new plug for trailer lights. To be honest, I do not think they ever worked. Well I had this vehicle for a whole two weeks.

I know I have no power to the rear brake/back up. BO service lights are operational, but off, the rest of the normal lights work. I have no manual and checked the fuses. Does anyone know where this fuse may be? I am hoping for a fuse issue. That would be a blessing. If not, does anyone know where this wire starts, so I can check power there and trace back? Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Semper fi,
Tommy D

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The blackout switch on the right has to be on the up position in order for the brake and headlights to work. Read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual for instructions on the basic operations of the truck.

And welcome to the OD madness

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sure need to redo all those photos. At the time I thought they looked good. LOL

And that fuse box map has an error on it. I'll post the corrected one later today when I get to my laptop.

Last edited:

Sig229

I had some light issues when I bought my first M1009 and what happened was the socket of the right turn signal was not grounded check the socket itself. mistaken1 is pointing your in the rite direction. The best route is to listen to warthog. When in doubt, whip it out. TM that is:p
Oh just thought of a possible solution the boys in the motor pool tear up the wiring under the dash to attempt to fix glow plug issues check and see if they managed to disconnect the pressure switch to the brake pedal that could be your culprit
Good luck and welcome.

mistaken1

porkysplace

Thank warthog.

All I am doing is reposting his pictures after his original thread where he took the time to disassemble the truck, take the pictures, label the pictures and post the pictures seemed to disappear. At most I am but a humble student dutifully regurgitating the notes that I took from his lecture.

If you want to repair your truck warthog has the answers. But like any other good apprenticeship program you have got to do the work, his brain and your brawn will get it done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks