• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Brake Caliper Problems

Brogman

I rebuilt the front axle. I did a dumb thing. I took my old brake calipers in for core trade and picked up rebuilt ones at O'Reilly's. Due to weather I didn't get to put the new ones on for a couple of day's. They don't fit. My originals are gone. I am screwed. 1984 K5 Blazer ones. Here are some pictures of my friends 1985 M1009 the rusty ones and then mine with no brake pads installed due to its the only way to get it into position other wise the caliper hits the mount.

~~~~~~~20151130_144520.jpg20151130_144535.jpg20151130_150551.jpg20151130_150607.jpg20151130_150821.jpg20151130_150855.jpg~~~~~
Basically that bump on the right side bumps into the caliper mount.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you could clearance the mount with no issues. Does your banjo bolt fit? There were 2 different size pistons in that caliper style but not that year. Parts guy may have interchanged.

cucvrus

I can't see what you are showing us. I see the pictures but have no idea what is not fitting. I have replaced them many times with no problems. I would take them back and exchange them. Why are you screwed? There is nothing special about the CUC/V brake calipers. They are the same on every 1/2 ton GM 4x4 truck back in the day and same era. Good Luck. I have a pile on my stone wall and I just exchange them 1 for 1 when I get rebuilds at Autozone.

Brogman

The caliper from O'Reilly hits the mount, the finger on the right side of the picture is past the mount. My friends finger is clear of the mount to the left of it. I can't mount my caliper because the finger hits the mount before the bolt holes line up. The picture is with no brake shoes and the caliper moved toward the engine so the finger clears the mount and the bolts inserted as they now line up. If you could get the brake pads on like this which you can't, the caliper couldn't close due to the finger hiting the mount. Sorry those were the best pics I could come up with at the moment.

Brogman

The finger on the right side of mine hits the bracket, the finger on my friends is clear. The picture of mine is with no shoes and the caliper moved in toward the engine so the finger clears the mount. I can't put shoes in and clear the bracket and even if I could the caliper would hit the bracket

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take them back and get the right ones!

Brogman

First, sorry for the double post saying the same thing. I am on the road and used my cell phone. I did take them back. I used the 18-4208 part number for the right and 18-4209 for the left and 84 K5 Blazer. O'Reilly brought out new ones and they looked to be the same as the first ones. So I was afraid that the right ones were no longer available. Like so many parts for these trucks have become.

"Take them back and get the right ones!" Sorry to have pushed your button, I am a new CUCV owner and have been on a steep learning curve at times.

It's been 20 yrs. since I tackled a project like this and this site has been more help than I can say. Thanks Folks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They only offer that one caliper. Obviously there is an issue with the cores they are rebuilding. I have never had an issue such as you post.

Ilikemtb999

Go to advance or napa?

i bought calipers from advance for my 14 bolt (same style as the front 10 bolt calipers) and they were the same as my old 10 bolt ones.

cucvrus

I just bought a set of calipers for an M1009 at Autozone. No problems. C528 drivers side and C529 passengers side. Less then $40. for the pair. Lifetime warranty. Not sure what you have going on. Maybe someone switched the axle. But nothing special about any CUCV brake parts. Same as the millions of civilian GM 4 X 4 vehicles from the same era. Is Autozone a bad subject here? I seldom have any issues with the parts I buy there. And they give great discounts and order special parts for me with just a phone call. They will beat anyone's price. Nice perks. Do as you wish. I have a tight ring of suppliers that I use. Like tools each one has it's special use. Thank you. Happy Holidays.

Brogman

Ok went to Auto zone and got C528 and C529 calipers. Same problem as before.

Here is a better picture of my friends 85 m1009 and how the finger on the caliper clears his backing plate.20151130_150607.jpg20151130_150032.jpg
Is it possible that the backing plate is different on 1984's?

Last edited:

Brogman

Just talked to John at Hillbilly Wizard. I did mark one of the two backing plates. I must have thought the one I marked was for the right. I didn't write it down. There was a month or so before I put them back together. I may have put them on the wrong sides. I didn't think I could do that. John said he had done it on a Dana 60 before. This seems to be the only thing it could be. I tried to hang one of the calipers upside down to see if this was the problem using the pins but I can't tell if it is the problem doing that. Guess I will have to take one off and see. What a dummy I may be. Thanks for your Help everyone.

gnick

haha - gotta love when that happens brogman. at least you'll be back on the road soon, and didnt end up with a real problem. Everyone who is human has been there. I've certainly shed a few tears in these situations.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good news, and a simple fix!

vtwinpilot

Before anyone follow's this to the end, I had the same issue, but did not have the backing plates off. So after a lot of discussion. I finally resolved my issue, calipers would not drop in place. I did not pull the collars out. They may have been longer than stock. So when putting caliper back on, remove collars/bushings that go around caliper bolts. Then drop in calipers with pads. Insert collars then bolts..........In my case this cured my issue. Follow this thread to the end for some useful info and pics of calipers, very helpful thread.

Last edited: