• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Brake Disk R&R

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright, folks. Talk to me like I'm a fool because I am. I got into my wheel wells for the first time, and the only 4x4 I ever owned before was a Suzuki Samurai. I did put some new brake pads and slide pins on my M1009 yesterday and it made all the difference, but it looks like the rotors are behind the hubs. My intuition is that I've gotta pull the front pumpkin cover, remove some clips, and yank the axles out to remove the rotors. Is that right? Is there any kind of shimming to be accounted for when I put it back together? I'd prefer not to break anything because it's my daily driver and at least once in my life, I've managed to break a differential by not accounting for shims. The bearings sound just the tiniest bit crunchy, which makes me want to repack them, but I'm really only versed in simple tapered rollers and my only experience with repacking 4x4 front hubs was an old Bronco so long ago all I remember is that it was more complex than I was comfortable with. Is there an exploded diagram I can refer to?

I apologize if I'm being tiresome. It's just difficult for me to make sense of the TMs. I'm not as good as I once was.

87cr250r

No need to get into the differential. Once you remove the lockout hub then the rest of the job is the same as a 2wd truck. The hub and rotor come off together once the outer wheel bearing is removed. You'll have to hammer the studs out to separate the rotor from the hub. I suggest replacing the studs. I suggest having an impact wrench and some washers to pull the new studs into the new rotors. It's a lot of work to do by hand. This is what I did on the M1008 but I think the procedure is very similar for the M1009.

Jeepadict

I apologize if I'm being tiresome. It's just difficult for me to make sense of the TMs. I'm not as good as I once was.
May I suggest you begin your tech data conquest by downloading all the available TM PDFs to one folder on your computer.

Next, go thru them one at a time with someone who is more mechanically inclined or that has previous experience with military maintenance manuals. Once you know what each manual is/does/covers, rename the file into something more user-friendly for you.

Once you have the manuals sorted, find the task you want to accomplish in the Table of Contents. The TOC will be organized very similarly to any Chiltons or Haynes manual. Scroll down to your desired task and you should find a detailed step-by-step guide to removal and installation of any/all components, including any warnings and special tools required. Troubleshooting sections can also be found to assist in finding solutions to known problems.

Don't let these manuals overwhelme you. While I understand the organization & presentation can be confusing at first, once you get a sense of them it's far simpler than first impressions give credit for.

Just to give a refrence point of how fundamentally simple DOD manuals are...all USAF aviation maintenance manuals are written at a 7th grade reading comprehension level to ensure there's no opportunity for confusion or misinterpretation...those are multi-million/billion flying weapons systems, you have an old Chevy pickup. Enjoy the journey, the destination is still unknown.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks