• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Brake Issue

helobravo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(I looked at the TM's and didn't find anything specific for my problem.)
The front drivers side brake started dragging and heated up until I could smell it.
I wasn't to far from the house so I let it cool down and then drove it home. It did not drag on the way home and I did use the brakes a few times on the way.
When I tried to brake to turn into driveway, my pedal went to the floor with no brake action.
I had to use the emergency brake to slow down and park.
Since then I have put 10-15 miles on it and everything works great.....
I have no idea what the deal is and wish it would've stayed broken so I could fix it.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Chaski

The front caliper could be sticking because of corrosion, or bad hoses (can act as a check valve of sorts). Tear it apart and see what you find. I'd replace all brake components (all mine are less than 5 years old), after all they are all most likely 30+ years old.

You can get a caliper hot enough that fluid can boil. Once that happens the pedal will travel to the floor, or at least a lot further than normal. After it cools down it may act normal again. There are a ton of variables and who knows what brake fluid concoction others may have used in it over the years.

Please don't ignore your rig "talking" to you. Two weeks ago another forum I visit a member totaled a classic car, after he had had intermittent throttle linkage problems. The car "talked" to the owner, with interment sticking throttle problems. Owner ended up totaling the car and putting his wife in the hospital.

Rvitko

I had this happen and I have new hoses and calipers, in my case the guide pin just had some crud on it and needed to be cleaned and greased so the pads could retract smoothly. Check the guide pins.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks