• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Build Thread

Dock Rocker

There is some rust but its not TO bad. The motor has been swapped from a non turbo 6.2 to a non turbo 6.5 or so I was told. I have no way of knowing. The trans would not shift into drive but that was fixed with a little line replacement. It was dry rotted at the trans and at the intake.

So far with help from a friend we have done some wiring to fix a common problem with the starter relay(Doghead Mod). stripped out what was left of the interior, and fixed the heater blower motor. I have also replaced the back window and learned that the back window design SUCKS! I am not sure what my long term plans are for that. I also installed a high dollar console...

The short term plans are to weld up what I can in the floor pan, replace and patch what I have to and prime them up. Also going to treat the rusted areas with some POR 15. Then I am going to put herculiner over the interior. Once we have that done I will get back to work wiring. I am going to bring some 12 volt into the cab. This way I will be able to run everything I need.

I have a set of 37 inch humvee tires that are going to go onto it after we get done trimming up the fenders so they will fit. I am going to try to do it without a lift but I have a 4inch backup if I need it. I am also going to throw in a roll cage before next spring so we can be safe while going topless!

The idea for the truck is a capable trail rig that we can camp out of. Its not going to be a mud bogger or a crawler just a fun rig to go camping in and play around with.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

I got a little work done this morning. The floorpan has some rust in it (swiss cheese like) and I wanted to see how bad it was. They put some sort of rubber coating on top of it and it hid some of the rust. I am going to have to put some new metal down in places and going to put POR 15 everywhere else. Next week I tackle the underside!

This is the worst spot. It is where the drivers foot sits when he is pushing the gas pedal.

Attachments

Tulsafireman

4" rough country lift for my M1009 is my Christmas present from the wife. Then the 37" tires on Pro Comp 16.5" rock crawler wheels. Theres a discussion on what width to get. 8.25 or 9.75? Whats yalls input?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks