• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 buyer

HardCorps79

Hey all! I'm new to the mv ownership thing, but have been looking to buy a solid M1009 for some years now. Finally about have the cash together, but not too many around it seems. Drove a local one this week, but the price was just a bit high IMO. I think I can do better. $3k with some electrical issues (low draw, long start-up wait, dash lights gone, external lights questionable), two windows out of service and high miles (around 100k).

I know the market on these is tightening up, but am I wrong thinking I should be able to get into one for under $2.5k? I'm willing to go $3k, but for that it should be pretty much solid (not pristine, of course). Also- would it be better to get set up to buy through GL, or through a private sale? Your thoughts are eagerly solicited.

I want this for a daily driver around base and in town, and then for the occasional cross-country jaunt and weekend 4xin'. And it wouldn't hurt to have a decent BOV if TSHTF.

Additionally, if anyone in the MO, KS, IA, NE area has one up for sale, let me know. I've been following two on craigslist, but am holding out for a better deal, if possible.

Again, your thoughts and advice are highly welcome.

Semper Fi,
HardCorps79

pc3nmcb

I have been kicking around selling mine, I listed on Craigslist MO for 3400.00 but I know that isn't a realistic price. I listed for trades of Mustang GT, Monte SS or Z28. But I would take 2900.00 fot it. The only rust is on the tailgate. Runs excellent fired right up in 2 degree weather,with 55XXX miles. I am right next St Louis

Attachments

Last edited:

reb87

I bought one with 47000 miles on the last GL auction in Fort Riley KS for $1560 before tax and the gl 10%. I went yesterday to pick up some other stuff and was able to start and drive it around. It dosent have any rust and looks pretty good.

jodka

I am also in Kansas City and have been looking for exactly the same thing in the same price range for the same kind use. I finally gave up last night and bought a used Lincoln instead.

I did not bid on the CUCVs at Ft. Riley because I thought that I could not wait the 3 months for the EUC to clear. I also just moved to Kansas City from Maine and did know anyone here to ask for help with a load out, figuring that I could not count on the Ft. Riley trucks to run and having no way to tow a CUCV myself.

In retrospect, I think it was a big mistake of mine not to have bid on one of those Ft. Riley trucks. I could have bought any kind of temporary vehicle on Craigslist that was in the "it runs and drives" category to use for the few months while I waited for the EUC to clear, then resold it after I picked up my M1009.

Anyway, having kept my eye on Craigslist and Ebay here since December, my impression is that among the recent batches of CUCVs sold through GL at Ft. Riley there were some good bargains.

- Allen

mistaken1

I am in the KCMO area. Just picked this up, do not have the title yet so selling right now is difficult. These two spots are the worst rust locations on the vehicle (a couple of spots inside and a few other surface rust locations). The driver's inner fender well is fine, it is the passenger's shown in the picture.

Started right up on the GL lot. The vehicle appears solid mechanically. The fuel filter was changed in August of 2007 and the anti-freeze had been checked at -45 in October of 2007 (according to the marking on the filter and hood). The tires are all near new with full tread although the passenger front has a slow leak. All the lights work but the driver's rear blackout marker is dim (I want to clean the contacts and ground to see if that helps).

Attachments

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you were close to Ga I would sell you a real sharp one no rust fresh OD Green Paint for 3000.00 it is on craiglist for 3900.00 in the Atlanta list. it has 54.000 miles and runs great

HardCorps79

I am in the KCMO area. Just picked this up, do not have the title yet so selling right now is difficult. These two spots are the worst rust locations on the vehicle (a couple of spots inside and a few other surface rust locations). The driver's inner fender well is fine, it is the passenger's shown in the picture.

Started right up on the GL lot. The vehicle appears solid mechanically. The fuel filter was changed in August of 2007 and the anti-freeze had been checked at -45 in October of 2007 (according to the marking on the filter and hood). The tires are all near new with full tread although the passenger front has a slow leak. All the lights work but the driver's rear blackout marker is dim (I want to clean the contacts and ground to see if that helps).
Wow, that looks great! So are you saying you're interested in selling when you get the title??? Just curious. It seems there are more of these around than I had thought. I'm more concerned about drivability and mechanical soundness than cosmetic issues, but it helps if it looks good, too. The spare looks good, too- could you swap that with the leaker?

Any expectation on when you'll get the title?

HardCorps79

I have been kicking around selling mine, I listed on Craigslist MO for 3400.00 but I know that isn't a realistic price. I listed for trades of Mustang GT, Monte SS or Z28. But I would take 2900.00 fot it. The only rust is on the tailgate. Runs excellent fired right up in 2 degree weather,with 55XXX miles. I am right next St Louis
How much highway driving have you done with this? I'm thinking about a long trip in whatever I get. How long have you had it/how much have you driven it? Just want to know what I'm looking at. Looks and sounds good, but what else can you tell me?

pc3nmcb

How much highway driving have you done with this? I'm thinking about a long trip in whatever I get. How long have you had it/how much have you driven it? Just want to know what I'm looking at. Looks and sounds good, but what else can you tell me?
To be honest I only put about 500 miles on it, but with no problems. When I bought it the starter was bad, I put a new 24v starter on it. It has a good heater, glass is all good, tires are about 85% to better with a good spare. It has the original jack. It also has the solar panel to maintain batteries. I checked all the glow plugs and they are all good. I drive it on the hiway at 65MPH no shakes or shimmies and goes strait down the road, shifts properly. I have a clear title in hand if you are interested get back to me. Like I said I am asking 2900.00 but open to offers.

Last edited:

HardCorps79

So, a couple of these replies look pretty good. Just wondering if there's anyone else out there in the area wanting to sell a solid M1009 for under $3k. I'll hold out for a few more days to see if there are any other offerings from sellers, but I'm ready to buy.

maritimer

while mine isnt for sale, i can answer a couple of yourgeneral questions in post number 8,

i have had mine for just over ayear, its logged just over 15000 miles sicne i got it, includeing one 28.5 hour run from ottawa to here on the highway. the only issues i have had that arnt related to some of my operating habits are a shot passsengerside motor mount and fuel pump. the odd electrical gremlin is commen as is the broken starter botls if some idjit didnt put the starter support bracket back on. i use mine as a DD and my kids love there daddy's army truck. up here if you can find one look at spending 5-6k on it so yeah there a little tougher to get here, and given i have taken really good care of mine as far as rust and keeping up on the PreMain aspect its in damn good shape.

stampy

Hey get on on GL you can buy it for 1 to 2K and have some money left over for parts or upgrades. Mine was 1470$ with 2 pencil sized rust holes near the doors(repaired) Title was 60$ from GL then retitle in NC was 40$ :-D

Midnight Rider

SOLD!!

I bought this one and drove it back down south, this past Saturday. It was about 100 miles maybe less. No problems and was pretty fun to drive.

HardCorps79

Well, if you've read any of my other posts, you'll see I finally bought one! Won a GL auction out of Jefferson City last week. 1986 with 46k miles on it. Cosmetically immaculate, and said to run. Apparently these were from a Natl. Guard unit that just recently upgraded to HMMWVs. Supposedly they've been recently driven, and maintained (that's the word I got from a "source" in the area"). Didn't realize there were still units that didn't have humvees! Sent in EUC and am thinking mid- to late-February to pick up. Don't have pics on this work station, but there's pics on my other posts.

I've budgeted about $1k over the next three months as a contingency for any unforeseen problems with the vic. Planning to make this a daily drive so I want her completely up to date on maintenance. Looking forward to posting lotsof ???s and learning from some salty vets.

Semper Fi