• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Cab Roof Question

NMC_EXP

Want to install an APC dome light in the M1009. Dome light hole spacing is too wide for it to fit directly to the deep section of the ceiling between the sheet metal cab roof and the fiberglass rear roof. Looks like I will install it more in the center of the cab ceiling.

Question: The forward section of the cab ceiling seems to be double walled. Anyone know how much clearance between the inner and outer sheet metal out in the center? As in is there enough room to install rivet nuts?

The dome light is heavy. Don't think sheet metal screws will handle it.

Regards

Jim

forest522

I have been in there...it was a scary adventure - much rust. I digress..

At the front near the windshield it looked like about a 1 1/2 inch space between the actual roof and the interior ceiling. As it goes back toward the beam you described that meets the fiberglass top a 4 inch space exists. There are several beams that run horizontally (door side to door side) that wouldn't allow me to poke a long spray nozzle into the entire roof to spray a rust inhibiting coating. I sprayed what I could and installed plastic trim from a Jimmy I scavenged in a junkyard. I used 3/4 inch sheet metal screws to attach the trim to the metal walls and the bulkhead you described.

More to the point...I have installed the round type dome lights in g-rides using the same screws. I believe you have at least one to two inches before you ventilate the roof. It tapers towards the side and is deepest in the center.

Sheet metal screws won't handle it huh? That thing must be heavy! Good luck sir!

NMC_EXP

forest522;1259358 At the front near the windshield it looked like about a 1 1/2 inch space between the actual roof and the interior ceiling. As it goes back toward the beam you described that meets the fiberglass top a 4 inch space exists. There are several beams that run horizontally (door side to door side) that wouldn't allow me to poke a long spray nozzle into the entire roof to spray a rust inhibiting coating. I sprayed what I could and installed plastic trim from a Jimmy I scavenged in a junkyard. I used 3/4 inch sheet metal screws to attach the trim to the metal walls and the bulkhead you described. More to the point...I have installed the round type dome lights in g-rides using the same screws. I believe you have at least one to two inches before you ventilate the roof. It tapers towards the side and is deepest in the center. Sheet metal screws won't handle it huh? That thing must be heavy! Good luck sir![/QUOTE said:
Excellent info - thanks.

Ought to be plenty of room for a rivet nut if I miss the cross braces you mentioned.

I estimate it weighs 1.5 lbs. Its a chunk.

Regards

Jim

forest522

I just read one of the threads below that indicates there is only 1/2 inches between the ceiling and roof. That seems a little small but its always good to be on the safe side! I would stick with 1/2 to 3/4 inch sheet metal screws if you can.

I think there are actually three layers at the front that meet the windshield. I say this because I replaced a piece of the roof on the passenger side and a 1/4 inch below it was another layer. I could not see the visor hardware so it must have been beneath that layer.

NMC_EXP

Just read that myself - thanks. Drilling a small hole and the probing for depth is a good idea.

Another option might be to attach an 'L' shaped bracket close to the ceiling using the bolts which connect the rear cover to the cab roof. Mount the light to the bracket.

Regards

Jim

Regards

Jim

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could use pop rivits to mount it , the only downside is you would have to drill them out if you need to remove it.

NMC_EXP

The light is about 1.5" thick with a .25" flange around the center. Result is a .75" gap between the mounting flange on the surface you want to mount to. I was going to use bushings to fill this gap. Don't think pop rivits will work.

Thanks

Jim

NMC_EXP

That was the original plan. Purpose of the thread was to find out if there is enough clearance between the inner and outer skins of the cab roof for a rivet nut.

Regards

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks