• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Cargo Bay Bracket Question

NMC_EXP

My '86 M1009 has a bracket on the floor in the cargo area, left side, behind wheel well. It sits up about 3" off the floor and its flat surface is about 6"x10". It looks factory.

Anybody know what this was intended for?

I do not see it in the -10 Operators manual.

Thanks

Jim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the topic is open and hot, does anyone else find this weird? GM, or military engineers, decided to put a jerry can mount, for fuel, in the interior of this model of CUCV but didn't put the same bracket or provision, anywhere on the CUCV pickups. Fuel in the interior? I suppose it could be used for a water can. Anyone have any cool ways to add jerry can mounts to a CUCV pickup?

NMC_EXP

Since the topic is open and hot, does anyone else find this weird? GM, or military engineers, decided to put a jerry can mount, for fuel, in the interior of this model of CUCV but didn't put the same bracket or provision, anywhere on the CUCV pickups. Fuel in the interior? I suppose it could be used for a water can. Anyone have any cool ways to add jerry can mounts to a CUCV pickup?
The base looked like it was made for a jerry can bracket but I had a hard time believing they would put one in the crew compartment. Like you said, maybe for water.

I doubt that the sheet metal could handle the weight of 5 gal of fuel or water. Probably ought to bolt the can brackets to the floor of the bed.

Regards

Jim

NMC_EXP

I put a SAW ammo can in my truck to hold tools & etc. If you do this make sure you clear the left ledge when opening the can up.
I like that better than a jerry can for that spot.

Never saw a SAW ammo can. Looks big for 5.56mm. Is the can made for those throw away belt boxes that attach to the weapon?

Regards

Jim

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The bracket is indeed for mounting a 5 gallon 'Jerry can' but not of fuel. It's for the 5 gallon water 'Jerry can'.

mangus580

I will say that I really like having the can mount there. That way I dont have to worry about the can falling over in the back of the 1009 when I go to the gas station with it (granted, I dont haul fuel in any of my vehicles much... I run up with the golf cart when possible!)

KyCUCVs

My understanding is that the bracket is for mounting/carrying the M13 Decontamination Apparatus. The M13 is shaped just like a metal gas can. Below link is to a document that shows the M13 on page 4.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/nbc97/97anexc.pdf

I think the apparatus can be mounted directly to the bracket in the M1009 without the metal fuel can holder and strap. But I have seen the fuel can holder mounted on this bracket for carrying a 5 gallon water can. I don't know any unit commander that would allow fuel to be carried in a passenger compartment.

The Additional Authorization List in the back of TM 9-2320-289-10 authorizes the M13 for all versions of the CUCV, but only the M1009 has a bracket to mount it. The list also, strangely enough, authorizes pioneer tools (shovel, axe, pick) only for the M1009. My USMC M1008 did have a pioneer tool rack mounted behind the seat.

Bobert

My understanding is that the bracket is for mounting/carrying the M13 Decontamination Apparatus. The M13 is shaped just like a metal gas can. Below link is to a document that shows the M13 on page 4.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/nbc97/97anexc.pdf

I think the apparatus can be mounted directly to the bracket in the M1009 without the metal fuel can holder and strap. But I have seen the fuel can holder mounted on this bracket for carrying a 5 gallon water can. I don't know any unit commander that would allow fuel to be carried in a passenger compartment.

The Additional Authorization List in the back of TM 9-2320-289-10 authorizes the M13 for all versions of the CUCV, but only the M1009 has a bracket to mount it. The list also, strangely enough, authorizes pioneer tools (shovel, axe, pick) only for the M1009. My USMC M1008 did have a pioneer tool rack mounted behind the seat.
Does anybody have a mount for the m11 type decon apparatus in their m1009? I have a mount by the back seat that works for a fire extinguisher, but it looks like the one in kycucv's link. Is this a decon apparatus holder? did they all come with this?

Attachments

Last edited:

JB

I believe the mount next to the transfer case shift is where the decon unit is supposed to go. I put mine on the forawrd facing portion of the left rear fender in the cab so i could put a fire extinguisher in the normal mounting place. EDIT: After looking at the 34-P the mount next to the transfer case shifter is the place for the fire extinguisher. :oops:

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the M13 decon kit that KyCUCV refers to.
Close to the same size as a jerry can, fits in the same holder, lighter since one side (green in the picture) is a hollow box for the hoses/brushes. The black side is the fluid tank.
It is not designed to be permanently mounted, but carried in a jerry can holder.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

143SE8

There is also a decontamination unit that will fit in a jerry can holder. It holds about 3 gallons of fluid and has a compartment for a hose, brush, wand and hand pump. I have one. They show up of ebay frequently.
Jim N0EYZ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks