• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Civi Electrical Trailer Connection Harness Questions

ssdvc

OK, yes, I used the search function and I think I found what I was looking for, but just in case.....

I am trying to fabricate a harness that plugs into the mil spec trailer connector on the rear of my M1009 so I can just plug in my civi boat trailer when ever I want, but at the same time retaining the ability to hook up a 101A2 if needed.

I want to 100% determine if the voltage is 24v or 12v in the existing (stock mil spec) trailer electrical connector on my truck. :?

Once I get my answer, I am going to attempt to mate up a connector using a trailer harness and cutting off the trailer end and splicing in a 7 blade connector.

I have already cut the harness open and I found 8 wires (12 pins, only 8 wires??), half red and half black. The 8 are as follows:

Black, black with red stripe, black with white stripe and black with green stripe.
Red, red with black stripe, red with white stripe and red with green stripe.

I read on another post that the following pins go to the following wires, which correspond to the following functions:
90 = Black with red stripe = Ground
21 = red = Marker lights
22-461 = Red with white stripe = Left turn and brake
22-460 = Black with red stripe = Right turn and brake

So, aside from verifying the voltage, am I on the right track?

I also read about using the 7812 voltage resistor in line with each wires splice to drop the voltage down (if needed) to 12v. My next question is, which ground do I use for the resistor?

And I thought this would be easy.

Thanks

ssdvc

I have the parts already and I like to try and do things myself, when I can. Also, I am too **** cheap to buy the adapter :eek:.

Plus, if the voltage is 24v at the connector, I still need to drop it down to 12v.

mistaken1

12V lighting. If you follow the wires from the mil-plug you see where they tie into the stock wiring harness.

You can get those neat Tee fittings that will connect at the stock taillight harness connector that will let you add a 4-wire flat without cutting wires.

Attachments

Last edited:

cucv1833

You can buy the Civy "T" It looks like people or using pre-1983 model. Or you can buy the $75 Adapter. Or follow the wiring diagram and splice into it. The military plug is 12v. You can change your bulbs on your M101a2 to 1156-97 12v bulbs. I just did this to my M101A2 now I use it with my M1009 and Ford.

Did you check these 2-threads.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/46121-trailer-wiring-adapter-cucv.html?highlight=12v+trailer+light
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/2610-trailer-hookup.html?highlight=12v+trailer+light

ssdvc

You can buy the Civy "T" It looks like people or using pre-1983 model. Or you can buy the $75 Adapter. Or follow the wiring diagram and splice into it. The military plug is 12v. You can change your bulbs on your M101a2 to 1156-97 12v bulbs. I just did this to my M101A2 now I use it with my M1009 and Ford.

Did you check these 2-threads.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/46121-trailer-wiring-adapter-cucv.html?highlight=12v+trailer+light
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/2610-trailer-hookup.html?highlight=12v+trailer+light
Thanks cucv1833. The trailer hookup one had one I am looking for. I just need to make sure I am connecting the correct wires (the 4 black and 4 red ones) to the correct places on the 7 pin connector and I think my 1009 will be ready to tow my civi boat trailer.:)

Anyone know what each of the wire is for the standard trailer harness that hooks to the back of the CUCV?

Thanks !

cpf240

You can get those neat Tee fittings that will connect at the stock taillight harness connector that will let you add a 4-wire flat without cutting wires.
Not if you have an M1009, unless you buy two of the Tee fittings and then splice them together to make one flat 4-wire connector. The M1009 does not have the same connector setup as the other CUCV trucks. Ask me how I know... :-o

If you don't want to cut anything, you can buy some extra weather pack connectors and make an adapter to Tee into the connection for the military trailer plug behind the pintle hitch. This is what I did.

txmytx_catahoula

I used the diagrams that mistaken1 attached to complete an adapter like you are describing "mil trailer connection to 7 pin RV". It works perfect with both my civy and converted m416 trailers. All 12V.

Bartonm1009

I used the diagrams that mistaken1 attached to complete an adapter like you are describing "mil trailer connection to 7 pin RV". It works perfect with both my civy and converted m416 trailers. All 12V.

Im wiring a mil pigtail to a camper that used to have a 7 pin on it. I just read that the 1009 isnt the same as all other mvs as far as wiring goes. I cant seem to get this to work. Is mistaken1's diagram on this thread? If so i musta missed it. Also, im lookin for a home for a rescue catahoula on or before my trip out west from louisianna, want one?

txmytx_catahoula

Im wiring a mil pigtail to a camper that used to have a 7 pin on it. I just read that the 1009 isnt the same as all other mvs as far as wiring goes. I cant seem to get this to work. Is mistaken1's diagram on this thread? If so i musta missed it. Also, im lookin for a home for a rescue catahoula on or before my trip out west from louisianna, want one?
What issues are you having? Problems with the trailer side or the truck side? I had a OEM trailer connector from my M416 that plugs into my M1009, then I ran the cable into a RV 7 outlet. I've converted all my trailers to 7way RV's. I REALLY wish I could say yes to the "rescue", but I' got 3 dogs right now, Momma would MORE than scalp me if I said yes without consulting with her first.

txmytx_catahoula

overview.jpgvehicle side.jpgtrailer side.jpg

Took some pics when I got home of my pigtail. I'm not sure they'll help with anything, but guess they couldn't hurt.

Momma asked, if you have any additional info on your catahoula or pics, could you send it.

Tlauden

txmytx_catahoula

That's a very clean setup you got there. I like it a lot. Too bad it's not this easy for the deuce to make an adapter :/
Thanks. That's my vehcle wiring OCD showing up, I can't stand to have wires just dangling. Guess you could do the same for the Deuce, you'd just have to switch out ALL the bulbs on your trailer to 24V............then back again when you're pulling with your civy. The CUCV's hybrid 24V system just might be good for something after all!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or put multi-voltage LEDs on the trailer. They work from ~10v to 30v