• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Cold Morning Fog Machine

Stratoghost

When my truck warms up on a very cold morning, like we've been having the past week, a sheet of fog starts coming out from the front of the dashboard next to the windshield. It doesn't smell like radiator fluid and the radiator fluid level is the same as it has been. It doesn't smell like anything. It is very slightly greasy, but easily wipes up off of the windshield. The problem is the volume of fog. I don't have far to drive to work, so I'm lucky in that respect. When I get to work, my window is rolled down and fog is pouring out. It only does this in the mornings. When it gets above freezing, my windows get fogged up. This has been occurring for only this past week.

Here are the things that happened a week ago that could be responsible:

My fuel system developed a leak and has been sucking air. I have been having to bleed the system every morning before I start the truck. I have a switch operated inline electric fuel pump installed as well as a spin on fuel filter. My mechanical fuel pump seems to be dying as it loses power going up hill or accelerating to highway speeds. I have been using the electric fuel pump as an emergency assist. I am replacing all the fuel line in the engine compartment and installing an Airtex E3158 this weekend.

I had a new windshield installed a month ago. Everything seemed fine until my last trip to Pittsburgh. It is a 3 hour trip for me and it rained the entire time up and especially back on Sunday. As I was getting near home, the rain started to come in from the top of the windshield. I had it repaired on Tuesday and it hasn't rained since Monday.

On my trip up to Pittsburgh, my Low Coolant Level light came on. I know that the wiring has shorted out in the past, I had put electrical tape on the spot I found and thought that it might have been a reoccurring problem. A few minutes later, the light started blinking. It started out slow and started getting faster. I pulled off at a rest stop and let it cool down. While I waited, I filled the reservoir with water. It was empty. I don't know if water got in the lines or what as the short didn't go away. The radiator was full. The next day, the light was out and stayed out. I bought a new thermostat just in case.

-

I tried searching the CUCV forum but didn't some up with anything. I think the new search system is a little off, or I just can't find the right terms to use. I know you guys have been great with suggestions and solutions in the past. Thanks in advance.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm gonna say heater core, only because this exact thing happened to me a few weeks back, it looked like there was a fire inside the cab of the 1009, no smell, just fog. It only takes a couple hours to change the core just make sure you get the right one. I bought one from o'reilly auto that was supposed to be for a truck with no a/c, but the core in the box was for a truck with a/c.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heater core- you aren't smelling the antifreeze, as you have become used to the smell.

Stratoghost

Thanks for the info. I looked up the part, it isn't expensive. The job doesn't look too hard to do. It'll give me a chance to change out some hoses and radiator fluid at the same time.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Some pics, the core for a truck with a/c is narrower and made of aluminum
I ended up getting mine at pepboys, and it was exactly the same as the Harrison unit that was removed, but not built by Harrison.
If you have the time, get yours recored, if you don't, get it recored and keep it as a spare.

Attachments

Last edited:

Anubis8472

Heater core- you aren't smelling the antifreeze, as you have become used to the smell.
+1

13 years as a truck driver, there's days where I could be standing next to my truck with it running. Someone could ask "Do you smell diesel?", and I'd have to realy think for a second.
When I had a heater core leak in my pickup it was gradual. I didn't notice it untill the fogging, and even then the scent was there, yet it's almost a mind game because of the gradual introduction.
Do I smell antifreeze? .. yeah ... err no ... no, yeah ... wait ...

stationjj

I recently replaced my heater core. If you replace your heater core it's not to bad. From research I did on SS don't get the aluminum heater cores. China Junk. They don't get as hot as the original brass/copper heater cores from Harrison get.

I pulled mine and had a radiator shop look at it. It was beyond basic repair way too many leaks. I found a C-5 truck with no A/C pulled it's heater and a radiator shop was able to clean, flush, and repair a leak for $32. Sometimes these cores are beyond basic repair too many leaks.

I am very pleased with the heat I getting from my heater.

stationjj