• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 cold start issue

robhoward

I have had my 1009 for about a year and a half. It has never started well but over the last 2 or so months it has been getting worse. I am in upstate ny and it started great at 70* then at 60 it had some issues, at 50 it wouldn't start anymore. I put new glow plugs in it and it got better for a few weeks. Now its 35 in the morning and it will no longer start without jumping it off another truck. It cranks fine but it kills the batterys before it starts.

Background: it has been 12v converted, new glow plugs about 5 weeks ago, tested batterys and they are good. Glow plugs have power and I replaced the relay just because. New lift pump last year, fuel filter about 3 months ago. Voltage goes from 12.6 to 11.8 when glow plugs are on (i think I remeber more of a drop last year) glow plugs are on a push button (previous owner) when it does start there is a lot of smoke. That's all I can really think of.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel pressure switch in the filter housing can cause issues but the first thing I would try is to have the batteries load tested. Voltage is only one part of the equation.

robhoward

Ok I forgot to mention I had them tested last week and both are good. I checked for bad cables and replaced the one that I had found bad I replaced. I don't have the truck with me right this second to look at the fuel switch so sorry if this is a stupid question but what am I checking for? Thanks, rob

Triple C

How long does it have to crank before it starts? If it runs both batteries down and has to be jumped before it starts and the batteries are fully charged and good, that should be a lot of cranking. Are you getting an acrid smell as it cranks? Any white smoke while it cranks? Turning over at a good rpm? Getting plenty of air? Maybe losing prime?

kabar1

Is your starter spinning the engine fast enough, and are you sure your glow plugs are working correctly? Did you say it is harder to start once it's colder? That would make me think glow plugs .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should start in less than 3 seconds of cranking.

robhoward

The starter spins it quick. It was replaced about 6 months ago. It cranks for about 10 minutes on and off to not burn up the starter. I am leaning towards glow plugs but I replaced them about 5 weeks ago. As for if the system works corectly it has a push button from the previous owner. They have power when I push the button. Could they have burned up that quick? They are autolights I usually push the button for about 15-20 seconds and it started great for about 2 weeks after replacing them.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They can burn out in about 30 seconds.

Test them individually.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some issues/questions:

1 - The truck has been converted to 12v. How was it done? Was the wiring hacked up or was the conversion done according to the Rosscommon Equipment Center method.

2 - The truck was wired for a manual glow plug system. Again how was it done? All that is really needed is to provide a ground wire and switch to the small blue wire at the GP relay. You said the relay was replaced. With what? Part number? What is the part number of the replacement of the replacement glowplugs?

White smoke during cranking and right after start up is unburnt fuel. The glowplugs help with the burning.

I know you use a manual GP switch but have you watched the sticky on the operation of the glow plug system?

Last edited:

robhoward

I haven't compaired it to the Rosscommon way but I think it is the way its wired. Gps are one wire to ground and the other to a momentary contact switch. I don't think it is a fuel issue as there is lots of smoke and smell of diesel. I have looked at sticky right after I.got the truck. I will look over it again. I know the theary behind them. Thanks, rob

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What brand did you have in it?

I prefer AC Delco, AC60G.

robhoward

I had autolight 1110s in it. I am going to see if advance auto will warranty them out and if not I am going with the ac delcos. The ac's are cheaper then the autolights anyway.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I wouldn't use the Autolites even if they were free.

robhoward

I think I am going to go with the ac's. I just pulled the 5 bad ones out and 2 are already begining to swell. The old ones are delcos and they where in the truck when I got it and a year of me owning it and not one showed any sign of swelling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks