• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Convertable

CROM

Here's my idea. Let me know if it's ridiculous. I'm thinking of cutting the cab off of my M1009 and making it detachable. Still in the brainstorming stages here, but I was thinking of chopping it flush at the doors and just back from the windshield. At the bottom, I'd weld plates to be able to bolt it back in place and do the same at the top...attach a piece that would over-lap where I cut (leaving a few inches attached to the windshield) and seal the whole thing with gaskets.

Anyone ever try this? I really like the way the older K-5's can go full convert, and I don't think having a two piece top would be too much of a burden. As far as leaking, it's a CUCV! It leaks anyway!

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!

CROM

Oh! Forgot to mention and I'm sure someone else will note this...

I understand the cab is a very important structural part of the vehicle! Before I decide to chop the top or not, I plan on installing a full roll cage for the cab and the back. It is for safety first, of course, but I also have some ideas for a canvas soft top that I'd like to make. (our parachute shop can sew anything!)

OL AG '89

Maybe you could find an old Gen II blazer top.(Full convertible and mock up the cuts before cutting. I have one from my sons '74, not for sale, but could give you and idea how it attaches if your interested.
I love the full convertible blazer, his has a factory roll bar behind front seats that doesn't interfere with rear seats. Also did a softopper convertible top so he can do the full convertible at any time.

cool idea, will definitely have to beef up for structural integrity.

Barrman

Full convertible is a great idea. I wanted a soft top M35 for just that reason. I pull the hard top off the M715, lay the windshield down and love it. I was drawn to the M1009 for among other reasons, the removable rear shell.

However, reality sets in. Rain, cold, heat, spiders, cats and rust all conspire against the full convertible option for me. Along with having something to pick up the M715 hard top and store it while it is off the truck. That is why my rear shell hasn't been off the M1009 yet and might never come off. I didn't even pull the hard top off the M715 this spring. Too hard to weather/critter proof it with the top gone. I can't imagine the hassle of pulling and putting the huge compared to the M715 M1009 top on and off.

Then there is the rust. The 715 has several water drains built into the floor and no rust has shown up after almost 8 years of the top being off at least a few months each year. The M1009 is like a big bath tub in comparison.

It is your truck, do what you want with it. Just wanted to offer some insight on the bad as I see it.