• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Crash/Rebuild

SomeNewGuy

So a a few weeks ago someone made a left turn when I had the light. I was traveling at about 45 mph before brake application and I struck the other vehicle (a Ford, lol) sustaining damage to the front left side of the truck. I will post picture's in the next post, as they are on my phone. My insurance totaled the vic and are paying me 'fair market value' which means I have plenty enough to fix her up as well as get around to all those upgrades I wanted to do.

Thus far I have assessed what I assume to be a majority of the damage, and I have ordered a fair amount of parts from LMC already. Having said this, she does not come home until tomorrow so I have not taken anything apart yet. If you see something that is not outright obvious, and think I should check it out, please let me know. This thread is meant to be a request for information from my betters, as well as a chronicle of dedication between myself and my truck. Hopefully this adds to knowledge, and drives others to save/keep these vics rather than scrap them. You can not pay for the pride of saying "This, with gods help, I have done".

(Insert "Ship of Theseus" joke here)

williamh

Take it to the frame shop. May have some real issues. Bent frame , diff , leaf springs. cracked transfer case ya know. Stuff like that. The fender , hood , inner fender , well are nothing compared the bent frame or main body mounts that are bent. 😞.

SomeNewGuy

Take it to the frame shop. May have some real issues. Bent frame , diff , leaf springs. cracked transfer case ya know. Stuff like that. The fender , hood , inner fender , well are nothing compared the bent frame or main body mounts that are bent. 😞.
Should have said, I somehow lucked out and the frame is fine (says two people with 30+ years exp). Hopefully that inital assessment is correct...

I am also scared about the tc and front shaft... that axle got pushed back a few inches. I do hope the impact didnt do something horrible to my drive line. Wewill see when she gets home tomorrow

cucvrus

The frame has definite damage. If put on a frame machine, it will show a diamond shape with the left being back further and the left front rail is bent downward. Frame machines were made to correct this type of damage. The rivets have stretched the holes in few of the crossmembers and will need to be replaced by bolts and nuts. Nothing here is a game ender. It just needs fixed correctly. All the parts are available. Not sure who put lifting blocks in the front springs but that was a weak link in the chain as you can see. Good it was not a hi speed crash. That M1009 would have come apart very badly. Good Luck. No need to be scared. If no one was hurt the parts and vehicles are expendable.

Last edited:

nyoffroad

Take it to a frame shop, an old school one that knows what they are doing and not relying on a computer readout to tell them where to hook and how much to pull. That left frame horn is dumped down and that means it's 'kicked' up above the wheel and probably swayed over to the right. All easy fix even with an old floor system machine, with the newer style drive on racks (god I'm old, they've been around for 30 yrs!) it's a piece of cake. Biggest challenge would be frame measurements cause many shops tossed the old frame books and the computers data doesn't go back that far. Take more pic's of both sides and then look around for a shop and show them the pic's , some guys want the sheet metal left on and some don't care but to make it easier on you let them fit the new metal while on the frame machine, that saves everyone some headaches!

cucvrus

Getting involved in this no injury accident may have saved you and others. Blocks never go on front suspension. NEVER. https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/131-0708-4x4-front-lift-blocks/
I would be thankful that this happened without injury or loss of life. In Pennsylvania we have annual safety inspections on all vehicles except Antiques. This would not pass a safety test.

SomeNewGuy

I totally agree that I need to ditch the blocks, PO did that and I had ordered new springs for a proper lift already. Fun thing is they arrived the Thursday before the accident and I was going to replace them that weekend but some old friends from the corps showed up and we partied instead. Come Monday afternoon I get a wreck... probably best I didn't put the new ones on. Is there anyone would recommend to find a longer sway bar? I intend to keep the 6in lift.

What/how should I check the steering box/arm? It obviously took a jolt and I remember feeling it through the wheel pretty hard. I have been in a few accidents (none as the driver till now) and I think I remember feeling a good kick in it. Could be imagination after the adrenaline rush, but still best to check... If there are cracks in the frame around the mounting bolts, could I weld it up and reinforce it?

I just got the truck back to my house today and looked at that frame again. I'll take some pictures tomorrow but the frame really does look like it is in the clear. The front... bar? Whatever you call the thing that shackle hangs off of, is bent for sure. However the bend is on the bar mount, not on the frame. I'm sure the holes it bolts into are ovaled or wallowed as CUCVRus said. They do not look bent, but I'm assuming they are.

I will start pulling her apart this weekend and get some better pictures of the frame. As stated both people I had check it (30+ years exp each) said the frame was fine but that was with all the parts still on... how should I go about checking it? This is my first vic with possible frame damage, would a level against the side of it be a good indicator that it is not straight? Is it actually straight or does it already have a small bow/curve in it that is not perceptible to the eye? I live out in the middle of nowhere, 25 minutes to the nearest 'grocery' much less a frame shop. Getting it towed alone would be... probably $450-550. I would like to check as much as I can myself first before I make that leap.

It was a no injury accident thankfully. Close call as I tried to snake between the people stopped at the light on my right side and miss the passenger of the truck making the left. Funny enough, this was the Monday after Easter Sunday and I didn't go to church. Who do I hit but an Air Force Chaplain of all people, I think the good lord was trying to get his point across, we had a good conversation waiting for the sheriffs and tow trucks to arrive.

williamh

You can replace all the broken /bent stuff , easy way to tell would be if nothing will align , door , hood etc. even now if looking at the passenger door , is the gap between the door and fender bigger ? Just shimming the crap out of everything will not fix the bent frame

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks