• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 cucv with bad fuel

84cucv1ton

trying to help a family member get the Blazer going again. last time this truck was used was about three years ago. Very little fuel in the tank. lead to condensation possibly there is water in the fuel. My first thought was to drop the tank cleaned it out and put in a new sending unit put it back up. He cut a nice big hole in the floor. Not the way I would've done it but okay. We got the thing clean the best we could. Put new rubber hoses and a one-way valve. new hoses on the injection pump and injectors too. 5 gallons of fresh fuel. New fuel filter. Got clean fuel up to the filter. It will run for a short time and then shut off. Like it runs out of fuel almost. When the truck was bought the injection pump and injectors were rebuilt around the end of 2002.. Not sure what to do next. Any ideas? Thanks a lot. Have a good Fourth of July everyone

Drock

Well it sounds like you now have a ton of air in the lines now that needs to be purged. If it still has the stock fuel filter base you can open the purge valve on the bottom ah few times to help work it out. Also you can Crack open the injectors to get some out as well.

ltcray

When my M1008 had air in the water separator, I put a small vinyl hose on the upper nipple and ran it to a jar with a bit of diesel in it- just like I was going to bleed the brakes. Since this truck had an electric inline pump in addition to the mechanical one (why? IDA know), all I had to do was turn on the switch and run the pump until the line ran clear. Real handy as well if you need a wee bit of diesel for cleaning parts.

84cucv1ton

finally spends more time on this. Got another fm100 from a guy on Ck5. Installed that and filled the filter with Marvel mystery oil. I figured why not maybe you would clean up the pump and injectors some. have a full 12 gallons in there now of new fuel. Had a bit of a hard time starting in but it did start I opened up the injection lines see if I would get some air out I got the Marvel mystery oil out. Few minutes later the truck started shut down after a few minutes. Will not start. Even with the gas pedal to the floor will not start. Got a huge cloud out the exhaust. trying to help this guy out. my patients are running short. I still need to fix my truck. any ideas? I have this feeling there's some little thing that I'm missing. as always thanks for the help guys.

tstone

Check the reservoir bowl in the IP and work your way back to the tank. Possible problems are a blockage in the IP reservoir to the IP, blockage in tank or lines, air in the line, drafting air through a bad hose or fitting, bad lift pump, restriction or issues with the filter housing and filter.
This is a lot to check but the process of elimination is the best way to troubleshot a truck that has been sitting for a while.

Good luck.

84cucv1ton

all this time later. im getting back on this.. picked up 2 new batteries. now that im moved. time to get this k5 going again.. tonight i realized the passenger side of the injection pump is wet.

Csm Davis

Okay time to break it down step by step get a small container, quart or bigger run a short line to the IP and see how long it runs the IP should be able to pull the fuel a foot or so no problem, if it doesn't you have an IP problem, if that works move back to the filter, then the pump then the tank, you will find your problem.

Chaski

I'm curious if your issue is somehow related to the 100% swig of marvel mystery oil. I don't know how well a diesel will run on straight marvel oil. I like the idea of a small container of fresh diesel piped straight to the injection pump, followed by pulling the glow plugs and turning it over for a while to purge the system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks