• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Custom Front Bumper Build

jacksmad1

I was wanting to buy a heavier duty bumper for my M1009 but could not find what I wanted exactly and also could not afford to buy one that was close. I decided that to get one like I wanted I was going to have to build it myself. The problem was although I had a wire welder I had never fabricated anything this big from scratch. I had only used the welder to repair implements for my tractor and various other small projects. Also since I did not have any drawings or measurements to build from I decided to use CAD or Cardboard Aided Design. Cardboard is a lot cheaper than steel and once designed the cardboard is used as templates to cut the steel.

The following thread will document my process.

As it started, there was nothing wrong with the original bumper and guard but I wanted something more heavy duty. I removed and saved all the original bumper and hardware so if my grandson wants to return to original he can when he inherits the vehicle.

IMG_4935.JPG

Bumper removed and beginning CAD design.

IMG_4936.JPG

Originally the bumper stuck out too far after looking at it and I had to cut it back.

IMG_4938.JPG

IMG_4939.JPG

Last edited:

jacksmad1

I wanted to allow for future installation of a winch and fairlead so I went to local Tractor Supply to take measurements and photos

IMG_4946.JPG

First cuts of steel with newly acquired plasma cutter from Ebay.

Probably heavier than needed but I used 1/4" steel.

IMG_4952.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

Last edited:

jacksmad1

Mounted front plates and internal mount for winch. Measurements for fairlead on front of bumper. Also I had mounted a 2" receiver hitch into the front bumper which I will show more detail in later photos.

IMG_4956.JPG

IMG_4957.JPG

IMG_4958.JPG

jacksmad1

IMG_4965.JPG

IMG_4966.JPG

IMG_4968E.JPG

Although when I cut the parts for one side and made mods to fit I would cut the other side at the same time but they would normally need some massaging as the fenders etc. would normally not be symmetrical.

Last edited:

jacksmad1

In previous photos I had also made the covers for the winch and fairlead holes. I welded some small tabs inside the winch hole to bolt to which can be removed when winch is installed.

After studying on this setup for awhile I decided the uprights for the brush bar did not look meaty enough so I welded in another one on each side and then wrapped them with 1" x 3/16" inch strap.

IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

Bought a used Harbor Freight pipe bender and bent the side brush guards.

IMG_5015.JPG

jacksmad1

I bought the two pieces for the chain rings online from eBay so they would we beefy enough to hold up.

IMG_5019.JPG

So far most things were just tacked together, now I removed the bumper to burn it all in.

IMG_5031.JPG

Here you can see under the winch mounting plate and the 2" receiver.

IMG_5033.JPG

The receiver is not fully welded yet but was later.

IMG_5034E.JPG

jacksmad1

I welded attachments to the bumper to bolt to the diagonal braces to the frame which are also bolted on.

IMG_5036.JPG

IMG_5039.JPG
Box around winch totally welded on both sides to uprights at winch plate and bumper top for lateral strength.

IMG_5041.JPG

You can see the diagonal braces from the frame mounted on the M1009.

Last edited:

ssdvc

That is one beefy bumper. I am not an engineer (didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn last night), but are you planing to add any gussets to the two main vertical bumper attachment plates and the side extensions? Is 1/4" going to be enough to take a load (sideways or even directly in front) if you were to use a winch?

jacksmad1

That is one beefy bumper. I am not an engineer (didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn last night), but are you planing to add any gussets to the two main vertical bumper attachment plates and the side extensions? Is 1/4" going to be enough to take a load (sideways or even directly in front) if you were to use a winch?
Notice in the previous photos the 2" rectangular tubing that is 1/4" thick that is mounted to the truck frame and extend to the front corners of the bumper. Also the top of the bumper and the winch plate are both fully welded to the uprights that are bolted to the frame which forms a box. Am I missing something else?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks