• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Damage Assesment

axshon

Hey All,

So I'm still figuring out how to retrieve my M1009 from Jefferson City MO but that will be another thread I suppose. In the mean time, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how the damage in the linked picture could happen. It's obviously fixable but I'm hoping to get some forensic idea of what might have happened so I am prepared for the additional under or inside work that might be required to bring my new boy back to the straight and narrow path. I don't do body work so I expect I'll be taking this to my dude for straightening and then I'll buy paint to bring it back to spec.

http://www.muddygps.com/doorfenderdamage.png

Passenger side. Looks to me like someone had the door open and someone else pushed it with a vehicle or someone backed up into something else while the door was open. Seems obvious to me that there is no pillar or frame damage but I wanted some other opinions from folks who have them in the driveway.

Skinny

Highly doubt someone or something (like wind) pulled the door open too far. Usually when that happens, it pulls the door hinges out from the A pillar. Then when you shut the door it sticks out quite a bit.

My vote is someone tried prying there way in.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something was in between the door and fender when the door was open, and someone tried closing the door. Maybe a tool, piece of wood, something that was tougher than the metal.

The metal is pushed in so the prying suggestion could be possible. It's hard to say really. GL moves these around with forklifts, other vehicles, etc. they also don't care what gets damaged while moving them. I have inspected several vehicles that look like something had backed into them or they backed into something. Hopefully it's not too bad to have fixed, good luck,

Scarecrow1

Believe it or not the clearance between the two doors are not very forgiving, bend one for what ever reason and they will destroy the other. That is going to be tougher to fix than you think. Good luck to you if that's all the damage there is then it will be a nice find .....

axshon

So when I called the guy from GL about scheduling pickup he said that this one and the other they had there ran very well and they drove them to their parking places. Don't know him from Adam so don't know that I can trust what he said but I'm hopeful.

The damage I would guess is from service, not GL simply because there is surface rust in the area.

axshon

I'm not a body guy. Tried it years ago and not my thing. I'll be bringing it to a friend for the body work and then do the paint myself with aerosol cans.

MarcusOReallyus

So when I called the guy from GL about scheduling pickup he said that this one and the other they had there ran very well and they drove them to their parking places. .
The guy may be a straight shooter, but that doesn't mean he's given it a complete checkout. What he tells you might be true, but it's probably not complete.

Mine ran fine with a jump. I'm sure they were able to drive it around the lot with no problem.

But it would not shift until very high RPM, and threw the Gen2 belt while I was testing it. Trailer time.

Don't count on driving it home.

rickf

Is there any damage on the front? It would not take much of a bump to push the brush guard into the fender and that moves the fender back just a hair and then someone opens the door which now does not have room and what you see is the end result.

Rick

axshon

I bid on the 86 but the winner was clearly motivated to get it. The only other one I've seen in that kind of condition was near me at Ft. Meade. It went for quite a bit too. I'm looking at this as a daily driver and BOV so the less I spend at the outset the better.

Attachments

dc9137

I bid on the 86 but the winner was clearly motivated to get it. The only other one I've seen in that kind of condition was near me at Ft. Meade. It went for quite a bit too. I'm looking at this as a daily driver and BOV so the less I spend at the outset the better.
Yah, I placed what I thought was a legitimate bid on the 86 but I was clearly wrong. :)

axshon

Yeah, somebody really wanted that one. My final price for the 84 was still a little high but after the election my wife started taking the BOV idea pretty seriously. Not political, just that the talk around the DC and Baltimore burbs is a sudden realization that prices are going sky high and Sandy = no gas just north of here. Spooked a lot of people including my wife so I took advantage of the situation to pick it up. Right at the edge of my price range.

dc9137

Yeah, somebody really wanted that one. My final price for the 84 was still a little high but after the election my wife started taking the BOV idea pretty seriously. Not political, just that the talk around the DC and Baltimore burbs is a sudden realization that prices are going sky high and Sandy = no gas just north of here. Spooked a lot of people including my wife so I took advantage of the situation to pick it up. Right at the edge of my price range.
Nice. I went the other way. I got a really rough one cheap and am rebuilding from ground up. Probably cost me more in the long run but...

Crewdawg141

Hey All,

So I'm still figuring out how to retrieve my M1009 from Jefferson City MO but that will be another thread I suppose. In the mean time, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how the damage in the linked picture could happen. It's obviously fixable but I'm hoping to get some forensic idea of what might have happened so I am prepared for the additional under or inside work that might be required to bring my new boy back to the straight and narrow path. I don't do body work so I expect I'll be taking this to my dude for straightening and then I'll buy paint to bring it back to spec.

http://www.muddygps.com/doorfenderdamage.png

Passenger side. Looks to me like someone had the door open and someone else pushed it with a vehicle or someone backed up into something else while the door was open. Seems obvious to me that there is no pillar or frame damage but I wanted some other opinions from folks who have them in the driveway.
Congrats on winning your M1009! Hopefully we'll pass one another one day in the future.

axshon

Thanks, it'll be ****ed good to be in a real 4x4 again. I'm tired of being limited by those stinkin' curbs and my neighbor already offered to buy my sedan. Just got get this thing home and fixed up.