• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 decals & stickers

SFC Deal

Does anyone have any info on where to buy all the decals & stickers that would have came on an M1009 from the assembly plant or Army depot? I want to totally redo mine to original specs.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check e-bay for seller Leftcoastdesign , he has alot of military truck stickers . If he doesn't have what you need he may be able to make it if you have a photo.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Merged with your previous identical thread.

cucvrus

I never really looked for the decals. I always just cleaned them up as good as I could taped them off and painted. I am sure you may find someone to make you that decal. But it is long out of GM parts. The jack instruction decal in the rear same thing. You can make your own stencils and they will look just as good as they were on most military vehicles I ever saw. These are not all fancy perfect vehicles. The only time I ever saw one perfect was when they rolled off the car carriers. One week later they were dirty and still looked new but had been stenciled by Privates some with brushes and some with spray paint. Most were heavy brush of 686 Sand paint in a taped off rectangle over each wheel and sprayed TP in the rectangle with flat black. Same as bumpers and doors. Sure you can make them perfect but I think they look out of place all pretty and clean. These are implements of war. They should have scars and blemishes. That is what adds the character to them. They are functional and useful only when used for the planned intent. No trailer princesses or garage queens in my fleet. As you have seen. Just my thoughts. I am done rambling. I will go back to lounging about and watching the snow fall. It is my opinion again. I'm allowed. Earned it not learned it[thumbzup]:carnac::grd:

cucvrus

Worst case scenario. I could cut that area out of the vehicle with the sawsall and you could trim it nicely and rivet or glue it back it the area you want it in. But you may have better luck if you really need them to take a picture and take them to an office supply store and have some made. Just an Idea. Good or bad I thought I would mention it. I have a few CUCV vehicles that need some cutting up anyway.

KansasBobcat

Be careful masking original decals with blue 3M painters tape. I ruined my jack decal and one door decal when I pulled the tape off! Was told later to apply grease to decals before painting. Haven't tried that yet. Still looking for replacement decals.

cucvrus

Grease? interesting. You really do not want grease in a paint booth. Fish eye city. I take the tape in the length that I need and drag it across my pants leg. It takes some of the stick off the tape and it works on fresh paint also. Blue tape is not the least adhesive tape. They make a yellow tape and something less adhesive is generic scotch tape. That works well for sharp lines and adhering very well to decal. That jack decal was always a problem. It has a clear cover over the yellow instructions and has absorbed so much moisture over the years they almost always come off and delaminate. I would not use grease inside an area that you are spraying pressurized air. That is asking for trouble. Fine line a piece of paper on the very outer edge of the decal you want to save. Desensitize the tape with lint or thinner. Or just do what ever you want. Just trying to give you a few of the tips I have learned over the years.

Mg84648

Classicindustries.com has all the GM decals you seek. Just search restoration decals and tags on the site. The other site quoted above has your mil-spec decals.
I hope that helps.
MG

scottladdy

Be careful masking original decals with blue 3M painters tape. I ruined my jack decal and one door decal when I pulled the tape off! Was told later to apply grease to decals before painting. Haven't tried that yet. Still looking for replacement decals.
I just painted inside my cab, used 3M automotive (green) tape over the jack instruction decal, but used a piece of paper over 98% of the decal, tape over the paper and about 1/8 inch of tape holding the paper down on the edges.

I'll see if I can post a pic of how it came out tomorrow. Zero damage to the decal.

hoplite666

I've never put much thought or care into the preservation of the o.e. decals. But for curiosity sake is there a complete list of all the factory decals and locations? Nothing came up in the search. I only think this may be important to you, and your thread because if one was to make efforts to preserve the existing decals wouldn't you want to also ensure they are all there? I removed the Jack and warning sticker for hidden bolts when removing the top when I bed lined the interior.
As far as I know all the others are in place.
Are the starting procedure and 4x4 operation decals on the visor common? My glove box also had a laminated build sheet adhered to the inside.

cucvrus

001.jpgI have a few of these decals that went on the sun visor of the local NG trucks. The flash has made the white out areas. They are new GM stock decals. Just a thought. I may take these to the label maker if they are wanted.