• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 died on me while driving

remote6

Hi, just so everyone knows I did try and search but did not find anything that applies. Ok so just got my m1009 registered took it for a drive yesterday and drove fine for awhile then it died on me while driving, started it back up and it did this several times. So I changed the fuel filter and added some fuel treatment drove fine for a while then did the same thing, I forgot to mention both of my batteries fired out I mean that they sizzled and fried. so today returned both have to fresh new batteries, cleaned the grounds and the positives on alternator batteries and engine grounds even replaced the engine ground it was pretty crispy. Also the previous owner said the ip pump was rebuilt it looks new. so im thinking the lift pump maybe, also I checked the fuel line to the tank looks pretty good, the flexible line on the lift pump is a little moist but doesn't smell like diesel any advice would be appreciated. Thanks forgot to mention I had the alternator check out today by two shops checked out fine and its converted to 12v system.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't help you out with the electrical side of things, if it was stock 24 volts maybe, but don't know how it was butchered to do the conversion.

The fuel issue however may be the fuel pick-up tube "sock" filter inside of the tank. Mine did almost the same thing as yours with the fuel, it turned out to be the fuel "sock" filter in the tank was plugged and sucking closed.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I dropped mine, I pulled the sock off, and put a NAPA inline filter just after the tank to catch the large chunks like the sock was supposed to do. That way I can change it easily if it plugs up again.

Cleptomaniac

could i get some help please

I had the dying problem. It was rust in the tank. New tank and sending unit she was good as new :)
The battery problem is similar to one I had after converting to 12v. Check the ground wire coming off the back of the engine to the ground bar. Make sure they are both clean and tight. Also the ground from the engine to the fire wall.
I don't know why but it seems to matter.
The last thing I did was change to a gear reduction starter. Puts a lot less stress on the electrical system.

Good Luck
Danny

remote6

securedownload.jpgok so this is what I found just finished dropping the tank speddmon was right the sock filter was dirty more so then in the pic I wiped it off a little and there was a little sediment in the tank. Could not get the tank back in tonight will have to wait. The grounds and positives I did clean up I will take a look at the different types of 12v conversions, when I did drive it today the batteries did not heat up so maybe im good on that part. Anyways thanks for the advice,

MarcusOReallyus

Check the ground wire coming off the back of the engine to the ground bar. Make sure they are both clean and tight. Also the ground from the engine to the fire wall.
I don't know why but it seems to matter.
Grounds ALWAYS matter. Bad or flaky grounds cause lots of strange problems. When in doubt, check your grounds. Many folks overlook them, take them for granted.

When in doubt, check your grounds.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you get the sediment out of the tank I can almost guarantee the sock will plug up again. That is why I removed mine all together and used an inline filter. I couldn't slosh around the tank enough to get it clean and it was easier to leave the sock off and put a filter in a more accessible location.

MarcusOReallyus

Any concern about the line itself plugging up in the tank? Or are you pretty sure the sediment is all small enough to pass on to the filter?

remote6

I am definitely not putting that sock filter back on I do not want to have to drop the tank again so i will be putting an inline filter in tomorrow along with some new longer felxable fuel line on the tank.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree on not using a sock on a diesel fuel tank. I actually had the same issue with my M1009 years back. I cheated though. I removed the main line and sent pressurized air through it with the filler cap off. That causes the sock to "blow off".

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could also just move your fuel pick-up line to the third unused tube in the top of your tank. That pick-up was for the optional fuel fired heater and also goes to the bottom of the tank just like the main pick-up tube, only no sock.

Any concern about the line itself plugging up in the tank? Or are you pretty sure the sediment is all small enough to pass on to the filter?
That would have to be some pretty big chunks rolling around to plug up the line, I'm wondering if the suction of the mechanical fuel pump would pick them up?

o1951

"Wish I would have had that idea yesterday would have saved me some trouble ." Your way is safer. If the sock is loose in the tank, it is possible that sometime part of it could block or partially block the fuel pickup. If you want a big, heavy duty inline filter, go to a tractor trailer shop. They have nice ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks