• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 directional control/turn signal switch

CycleJay

Hi guys,

On the way home from work, today my turn signal switch broke.

When I took the part number and searched the oreilly's site.
It gave me two results.. an ac delco, and a bwd switch.

They both look a little different from each other.

So which one should I use?

Or does anyone have a good auto parts store part number for the correct one?

By the way, how difficult is it to replace, and how long should it take?
I looked at the tm and it looks a little involved.

Any information would be helpful...

Thank you...

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Jay,

Did your actual switch handle bread or did the piece in the steering column break? The CUCVs has a weakness in the steering column. In my opinion, it ain't real easy to replace. According to the book, to remove the switch in the column, it requires removal of the steering wheel and other components.

If it is just the actual handle itself, consider yourself lucky.

CycleJay

Hello Carnac,

It is the switch, not the handle from what I believe.

I can turn the left turn signal on and it blinks. When I turn the right turn signal on, the indicator on the dash comes on and stays on,
the bulbs on the front and back end outside stay on as well, and none of them blink.

I called a diesel electric mechanic just to ask what it could be, they told me a contact in the switch broke,
so I need to replace the switch.

If I think I can replace it myself, then I will. If not, I will take it to a professional so it is done right.

Thank you for the reply.

K9Vic

Did you replace the 552 flasher?

The switch has nothing to do with a diesel, any ASE certified mechanic would know what to look for.

EDIT: Removed link as I was thinking of the wiper switch, not turn signal switch.
I had to replace the turn signal switch, with the right tools it is simple fix, but you have to have the right tools.

Attachments

Last edited:
You can rent a steering wheel puller for cheap. Shouldn't be too hard to switch.

Just take your time and pay attention to how things are coming off. I like to snap a few pics with my cellphone as I go so you can see how things need to go back on.

richingalveston

you need a steering wheel puller and a lock ring compressor. I bought my tools from LMC for less than $50 for both. I figured it would be more than once that I have to pull it apart so I might as well have the tools. It is not that hard to replace once you get the steering wheel and lock ring apart. The third hardest part is fishing the wires through the steering column. you have to take the plug off the end to get it through the chase on the steering column but the plug is made so the pins can be removed and put back into the plastic plug housing. The turn signal switch is easy, the wiper switch which is called a multifunction switch is a little harder to do.

CycleJay

K9,
Thanks for the advice. I did not replace the flasher.
This just happened today, so I have not had time to work on it yet. I will do it Friday or Sunday when I am off from work.

But since I just got back from the supermarket. I noticed that the front passenger side amber bulb parking light/turn signal bulb is out.
Would'nt that be one cause of my current problem too of no flashing when I turn on the turn signal?
Okay, I just did some more checking. I just turned on the lights, all the lights come on just fine except the front passenger side parking light.
When I turn on the passenger side turn signal the rear pass taillight comes on, so does the front pass turn signal, but no blink.
While the turn signals are off, and the lights are still on, I turn on the hazards, all lights that are supposed to flash, flash.
Would the parking light filament being burned out, stop the turn signal from flashing, or is the switch or something else bad?

Thanks

Thanks

CycleJay

Rich,
In my M1009, the turn signals and wiper are controlled by the same lever/switch... So it may be difficult.
If I had to replace that switch. Hmmm...

Thank you.

richingalveston

the arm controls both but they are two different switches inside the column. if it clicks and stays in place when you turn the turn signal on and the light comes on and does not blink, the switch is fine. the problem is you either have a bulb out or your flasher is bad. most likely a bulb is out. I think from the other post, you now know a bulb is out. replace the bulb and it should start flashing again

CycleJay

the arm controls both but they are two different switches inside the column. if it clicks and stays in place when you turn the turn signal on and the light comes on and does not blink, the switch is fine. the problem is you either have a bulb out or your flasher is bad. most likely a bulb is out. I think from the other post, you now know a bulb is out. replace the bulb and it should start flashing again
Hello Rich,

Thank you for the reply, advice and information.

I will change the bulb and see what happens.. I will take your word for it that you are correct.
Because when I turn the switch to turn on the right turn signal it does click, it does stay there, the bulb does come on,
but does not blink. Unless I turn on the hazards, then all flash as normal.

Good night...

CycleJay

Steel,

Thank you. But I may not have to now, if I replace the bulb that is burned out.
When I replace the bulb, if that does not solve the problem, then something else may be the problem,
then I will go from there.

Night.

scottladdy

The parking and turn signal switch wiring can cause a few interesting behaviors. CJ, the behavior you are describing could be the result of a burned out bulb, but also check the socket that the bulb goes into. The ground in these sockets is a known weak link. Also, the wiring to the socket can sometimes be at fault, as in a bad ground. Both are much easier to fix IMO than the column switch.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice and information.

I just fixed the problem.

I simply replace both amber parking lamp/turn signal bulbs, and that did it.

Now both turn signals/parking lamps blink and work perfectly.

Good day...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks