• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Door Adjustment

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you get a set of plastic bushings for the doors at napa, They are the same if it says ford on the package. It will still fit GM but may have to file the ends down as they were made to fit lots of different models. My have to drive them on with a deepwell socket also.

The Ford and Chevy striker bolt bushings are NOT the same dimensions. The complete bolts are also different size/threads.

The Ford bushings look like they can be drilled out, but why would you do that when the correct bushings seem to readily available and cheap.

I just ordered a bag of 25 GM door striker bushings. When I get them, I'll probably offer my extras in the classifieds.

topgun217

Give this a try, I found it on another site, it's a cheap fix: Easy alternative Fix. Go to Home Depot or Lowes Plumbing Department. Buy a piece of PEX 1/2" flexible hose. (It looks like teflon white) Cut off a piece of the tube the length of the striker area ---about 3/4". Slit it with a razor and slide it over your worn out striker. Worked great for me and did not have to remove anything. Total cost is about $1.25 .

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday, I received my striker bushings in the mail. Auveco Products - Automotive, Industrial and Specialty Fasteners

It took about 1 minute per side to pull the striker, spin the washers off, slide a new striker sleeve on, screw the striker bolt snug and fine tune the position(starting with matching the paint circle.

All I can say is WOW, my wife is going to be so happy to not need to slam the doors.

Thanks Incredilion(for starting the thread), tgtaylor and ranchhopper, and others who posted here.

ABN173

Yesterday, I received my striker bushings in the mail. Auveco Products - Automotive, Industrial and Specialty Fasteners

It took about 1 minute per side to pull the striker, spin the washers off, slide a new striker sleeve on, screw the striker bolt snug and fine tune the position(starting with matching the paint circle.

All I can say is WOW, my wife is going to be so happy to not need to slam the doors.

Thanks Incredilion(for starting the thread), tgtaylor and ranchhopper, and others who posted here.
I LOVE the way the new bushings work on MY CUCV! No one will need to slam the doors anymore!
I bet this is what I need too, I will be ordering mine this weekend. Thanks

combat jump

I may be doing this the hard way, but I just ordered a door pin kit from LMCTruck. Next to get the spring compressor tool from Harbor freight.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also the torx head in the striker allows you to adjust in and out and up and down. If this is not set right you can still get the same problem. That is if they are like most GM strikes of this vintage
popacom :neutral:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a 3/8" drive socket I think it's a Torx45 bit, might be a T50. Hold the backing/nut plate, it will fall and or spin, if you don't.

And, as was posted above, you need to "unscrew" the thick washer, off the bolt.

ranchhopper

You can use vise grips or a small pipe wrench to break the striker loose usually you can see an outline where the spacer was on the door pillar so just put it in the same position it was and tighten it back up after getting the bushing on the pin.

hanley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Noob Here.......just joined forum last night....figured I better since I bought an M1009 last fall and just got (2) M1008's off a guy today.

This door fix thread worked PERFECT. Went to parts store, bought bushings.....no more slam closing....my passengers will be very thankful.

Wasn't brave enough to run the striker post all the way out for fear of the nut falling off. The striker posts loosened with a torx and a screwed out very easily.

How is the nut captured in the door post? When I loosened my striker posts, they seemed almost too easy to loosen, so I didn't want to take them all the way out to slip the bushings on them for fear of losing the captured nuts. I tightened them up after making a few slight adjustments and they tightened just fine. Then I used a dremel and split the bushings and slipped them on....seems to work alright.

Man.....I think I'm gonna like it around this place.....thanks ALL

HANLEY

BIG_RED

Welcome Hanley,

Yeah guys, same question as Hanley, how is that nut held in there? Anyone got a picture? I can't remember being able to see the nut at all, I thought it was just a threaded hole in the truck body. Great thread guys, can't wait to get my doors to close easier.

gijoe

New pins and bushing and adjust the striker and try not to slam the doors, slamming the doors wears everything out 10 times faster. I hate it when somebody slams my doors, even worst when the window is down. :evil:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks