• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Down

cucvrus

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg018.jpg019.jpg020.jpg021.jpg022.jpgThe 1984 M1009 VooDOO is down and out. This is what big oversize tires and plowing snow can do to a vehicle that has been used off road only for the past 17 years. I had a lot of 33" tires and used them over the years. I run the used tires till they are shot and then put more used ones on. I am running 31 10.5 right now. I have a few more of them to use. Then I am going to put the stock pick up tires on the 235/75 15 tires. This has not seen the road since 1998 and has been driven 6 days a week ever since for 40 + hours a week. It is a dirt/stone 50 acre lot. I noticed something a while back and the driver said it drove badly. It would go where it wanted to go and left out one big crack sound and that was it. I ordered the ORD steering box frame repair kit. I took this apart this morning and it is sitting over night till the paint drys and the electric comes back on in the shop. Check it out. I am going to replace the sway bar bushings with the energy suspension kit and the front leaf sprig bushings are sagging also. It has been used and abused and keeps running and starting everyday in all weather. It does have a block heater on it and that is about all. It is still wired 24 volt as designed and keeps on ticking. Thank you for looking.

cucvrus

023.jpg024.jpg025.jpg026.jpgThe Off Road Design repair kit is all clamped in place and welded as out lined in the instructions. I would suggest if you are going to run bigger then stock tires you take the time to add this kit. I also would recommend you check your steering. Ball joints, tie rod ends and u joints can help contribute to this weak area of the frame. Also take a few minutes and pressure wash your frame area and check it out closely for cracks and loose bolts. It could be a real safety issue if it broke like this one did at highway speed in traffic or not. It has been a problem on all Chevrolet trucks back into the 60's and beyond. Even Fords had this issue back in the day. I hope it is is helpful and can give someone a little insight to make the job easier and safer for them. I have done this on several of the CUCV"S over the years. Thank you for looking.

dmetalmiki

Good post, very informative. Hopefully owners of these (types of) trucks will be carrying out some pressure washing and inspections. <safety rules>. But then so does self preservation.

K9Vic

Word of advise to all that are reading this to prevent the crack in the frame around the steering box. Get the ORD steering box brace as that really does work to keep the frame from cracking. Well worth the money and very easy to install compared to the repair kit.

529bbcee.jpg

cucvrus

Looks like the grille off a late 90's Utility van...Close enough. It was off of a 2000 Chevrolet G3500 cutaway cab chassis. It was a GMC chassis with a Chevrolet grille. I stored the grille for years until I needed a grille for the M1009 after a snow storm and ice broke the original one. It was not my choice to remove the brush guard the man at the plow shop removed it and said the plow would not fit with it on. I never ask why but left it off and used it on another vehicle. This is an excellent plow vehicle. It is getting a little tired from breathing dust over the years but just keeps going. It seems to smoke quite a bit and uses oil. But its old enough to smoke. And oil is cheaper then an engine.

cucvrus

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpgCompleted the repairs to the broken frame. Good as can be. I had some Monroe gasmatic shocks from a trailer that is no longer in existence. They were the same size extended but had a 3/4" bolt hole thru them. The lathe and some round stock for a spacer/bushing and we have a new set of HD front shocks on the old M1009 VooDoo. The ones that were on did nothing. They must have been empty for years. After I get the front u joint changed out and go over the rear brakes and axle seals. I am taking it to the exhaust shop for an entire new exhaust system. Then I will get some new tires. Thanks for looking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks