• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Driving Crooked

niferous

OK I took it by the body shop and they said they don't think the frame is bent. Also they didn't charge me anything.

So I went by the place where I took it to check out the allignment and such and he said he didn't check the rear end at all. :x

SOOOOO I'm going to try and check the rear leaf spring center pins. I was able to get the u-bolts off without too much trouble. I know I need to remove the shocks and I'm going to try and pick up some taller jack stands at Sears tomorrow. Do I really need to remove the brake lines or will the stretch far enough for me to drop the axle without messing them up?

Also once I get the truck's frame supported high enough do I just let the axle lower down on the jack?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just measure from the same point on the axle, forward to the front at the same point, on each side.

rickf

Did you take all of the U-bolts off of both sides? If so you obviously are not listening to us. It was mentioned on several occasions to measure first. It was also mentioned by me to do one side at a time so you do not have a loose axle to deal with. If you have all of the u-bolts off you better take the brake lines off because when you lower the axle it is going to rotate and most likely fall off of the jack. The brake line will break. The only real way to check the center bolts is to remove them for inspection, at that point you might as well put in new ones. It is not likely that you are going to be able to get the nut off of the old one without cutting it anyway. Make **** sure you clamp the springs before trying to remove that bolt! This is one thing you better listen to because you could well lose a hand if you don't. Some springs will not do much of anything when the bolt is cut and others will come apart like a grenade was in them. Better safe than sorry.

Rick

niferous

OK got everything back together with all new hardware except for the u-bolts. I replaced the center pins with new ones and a new nut with blue loctite. The old ones came out solid but were pretty worn out. Also the u-bolts were a little loose on some nuts but not all. I replaced the nuts with grade 8 lock nuts also with blue Loctite.

More than likely not the problem but it only took me about two or three hours total and I have piece of mind knowing that the pins are in good condition. Plus since I sell fasteners the new hardware cost me a total of $2.

Also no cut off hands or broken brake lines etc. Smooth.

Anyhow I'll try and take the measurements tonight when my wife gets home from drill and we'll see where we are.

rickf

You say your cost was 2.00 because you sell hardware? We need to talk!!!!! U-bolts are a lot more that that wholesale and center pins are about 8.00 each wholesale. Can you set me up with a set at that price? We are talking automotive hardware correct? The center pins are grade 8 with a round head, smooth shank and fine thread.

Rick

niferous

You say your cost was 2.00 because you sell hardware? We need to talk!!!!! U-bolts are a lot more that that wholesale and center pins are about 8.00 each wholesale. Can you set me up with a set at that price? We are talking automotive hardware correct? The center pins are grade 8 with a round head, smooth shank and fine thread.

Rick
Well I didn't buy new u-bolts. Thought I said that but I'll have to go back and check. Instead of center pins I used socket head cap screws. They are stronger than a grade 8 pin anyhow and if I ever need to remove them it will be a whole lot easier. Then I used 5/8 Grade 8 lock nuts for the u-bolts. So all in we're talking eight nuts, two SHCS, and two 3/8 grade 8 nuts. Plus some blue Loctite I already had around. Not much material at all.

rickf

Once it is all together it is impossible to see the center pin. There is really nothing to see anyway, a straight bolt through the springs.
Have someone follow you again but have two people in that vehicle. Do it on a two or better, three lane highway. While they are following you should be in the center of the road so they can drift side to side and get a good comparison on both sides. What you are going to find is that when they are on one side it will look like it is crabbing that way and on the other side it will look just the opposite. That is the result of the wider front track and then you know you are good to go.

Rick

niferous

Once it is all together it is impossible to see the center pin. There is really nothing to see anyway, a straight bolt through the springs.
Have someone follow you again but have two people in that vehicle. Do it on a two or better, three lane highway. While they are following you should be in the center of the road so they can drift side to side and get a good comparison on both sides. What you are going to find is that when they are on one side it will look like it is crabbing that way and on the other side it will look just the opposite. That is the result of the wider front track and then you know you are good to go.

Rick
My thoughts on the center pin as well. Nothing really to see but I figured I would ask.

I'm planning on having my wife drive it tonight while I ride behind on my motorcycle. I'll let everyone know what we find.