• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 ECU conversion parts

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
ketekmelet you'll find out that you're being led on a bit with these comments.

The 6.2 is a mechanical diesel designed from the Late 70's. The base block remained up until 98, but became a 6.5 over the years. The injection system remained close to the same. But the later models (ODBII trucks) had a hybrid pump that the PCM helped control the timing.

Let me make this completely clear.

The 6.2/6.5 is a IDI diesel. It will NEVER compete with a modern diesel. It will also never be a tune on the fly engine without metric tons of money.

Now with that out of the way, I'd suggest the following.

Turbo it, Turn the pump up, Install a boost and EGT gauge. Drive it by the gauges. If you're wanting the ultimate mileage. Keep EGT's below 600F and boost under 5psi. A mechanical diesel can have power and still retain mileage if you drive by gauges. But your request to "ECU" it is a futile endeavor.

dstang97

You can run bio diesel if you care about the environment. You can also turn up your pump and control mpg with your foot.

forest522

Gentlemen, I think this one has been played out...surely the poor fellow has the point.

I second Patracy and add...The point of the 6.2 for some, is that it is bio-diesel capable and reliable. One must be VERY careful with the quality control on the biodiesel if it is a home brew. The first thing I did upon recieving my M1009 was replace the IP. It smelled of Burger King and was basically ruined by poor biodiesel.

Ketekmelet - get that 6.2 to stock set up, square away the wiring (very important) and brew up some high grade biodiesel - that would be a great step toward 'earth friendly.' And then, teach us how to brew up the good stuff!

Oh, and forgive our bretheren, for they have a healthy sense of humor!

Respectfully.

ketekmelet

Big thanks to PATRACY and FOREST522!!! and also the dude who love smarties...

I've done some research on this topic and wanted to have more like a second opinion from you guys.

And yeah my second option was to add a turbo and install throttle control.

I dunno about the biodiesel... i think that would be more of a long term plan...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, why the throttle control when a pull cable has worked for the last 100 years?

You COULD fashion a servo to actuate the pump throttle lever. Then use a potentiometer to drive a servo controller. But there's be no gain. (Loss in cost, weight, complexity, exc.) I guess you could have a digital means to control the RPM then. But then again, a hand throttle cable has also been around for a number of years and is much simpler and less prone to failure.

Sometimes less is more.

ketekmelet

Ok, why the throttle control when a pull cable has worked for the last 100 years?

You COULD fashion a servo to actuate the pump throttle lever. Then use a potentiometer to drive a servo controller. But there's be no gain. (Loss in cost, weight, complexity, exc.) I guess you could have a digital means to control the RPM then. But then again, a hand throttle cable has also been around for a number of years and is much simpler and less prone to failure.

Sometimes less is more.
Ok sorry, maybe im not using the proper term... i dont know what a hand throttle is... but i guess that will work too.. :)

And if we want to go cheaper, i can just train my throttle foot to not step on the pedal too much...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally, a solution to the throttle cable vibrating against the hood at idle noise!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks