• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 electric lift pump

REDWOLF

What electric lift pump are you all using, and what would I need to install one on place of my mecanical one. Block off plate I know but what fittings to hook it up?

blueblaze

On a 6.5 turbo project of mine I use the regular frame mounted AC Delco unit. An EP158. Its supposed to use GM's o-ring style lines but you could probably use normal fittings since its low pressure. The application is for a 93 6.5 turbo truck.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just put an electric pump on my M1028 a few weeks ago. I thought the truck was frozen from the cold winter days, but it turns out I wasn't getting any fuel. I changed the fuel pump and the new one did the same thing. Hindsight tells me that is was probably the push-rod for the pumps that was the problem, since I had the same problem with 2 different pumps.

But, since I'm not worried about keeping the truck stock, I put one of these "Solenoid" pumps on the truck from O'Reilly auto parts. It works really good and it makes troubleshooting a no start issue a lot easier now. If the fuel pump is not clicking, then you know you don't have any fuel. Plus it is easy to change if it were to go bad.

Chaski

I have a Walbro FRB series. Neat thing about them is that they only run when needed. One caution about electric pumps, especially the Walbro. If you have good ears you may be able to hear the engine timing change a bit with every pulse of the pump. Don't quote me on it, but the advance piston in the injection pumps moves when case pressure is altered, and since the pressure from an electric pump, especially a Walbro isn't uniform you may hear it. I think if I was to swap pumps again I'd try one of the electric ones that were built for the later (91-93?) Diesel gm pickups.

PeeWeeQ

I'm installing the Mr. Gasket 12D. One of the cons I discovered is that the outlet is 5/16" and finding a way to transition to 3/8" is a major PITA. the inlet is a female threaded 1/8" NPT, so, that's not so bad. Until tonight though, I was pulling my hair out--3 hardware stores and 4 parts stores and I finally got it....I'll be running 3/8" rubber all the way from the tank, to the pre-filter, pump, and to my new spin-on, BUT, I'm leaving all of the stock lines in place just in case I need to revert back for some stupid reason....I'm hoping to finish up tomorrow.

stationjj

I am also using a MR Gasket 12D connected to a spin on filter. I had one issue with the inline filter. Easy replacement with a WIX 33046. I keep one as a spare now.

stationjj

PeeWeeQ

I was originally going to put it in the engine compartment until I actually read the instructions--that's a NO-NO. Now I'm putting it right in front of the rear shock mounts, passenger side, close to the fuel tank. It's not fun working in there and I modified the mounting holes for the pump a little bit, but it looks like it will work out alright. Still leaving all the stock lines in place as a back-up because I am the living embodiment of Murphy's law...

1StumpJumper

MR Gasket 12D. Running it through stock lift pump. Through my trouble shooting process, I found my in tank screen was in HORRIBLE condition, hardly letting any fuel by even with the pump. It should be added to your preventative maintenance list. Replacing it is a PITA, but worth it.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MR Gasket 12D. Running it through stock lift pump. Through my trouble shooting process, I found my in tank screen was in HORRIBLE condition, hardly letting any fuel by even with the pump. It should be added to your preventative maintenance list. Replacing it is a PITA, but worth it.

That is the whole reason when I dropped my tank the first time to find the screen plugged, I removed it and installed a NAPA 3270 inline fuel filter between the frame rails. Is is about 140 micron (probably close to the same as the in-tank screen), easy to get to and change if it causes a problem and inexpensive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks