• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 electrical cleaning

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I would like to clean the eletrical connections in my M1009,
as many of you guys have recommended people to do.

Is there a spray cleaner that you guys recommend for that?
Hopefully one with a spray tube (like wd-40) to get into tight spots.

Also, if I do this, should I disconnect connect the batteries first?,
to avoid any possible shorts, because I am spraying liquid onto
eletrical connections..

I already know about using dielectic grease after cleaing,
so I am good there.

Thank you for any advice, Good night,

CJ

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An eraser works very well on lamp socket contacts and on the instrument panel printed circuit.

ODdave

Aluminum brightener. I use it when I am cleaning harnses conections. After you rinse it off a little wd 40 to protect them from oxidation

Roadrunner 161

Try the CRC product (red spray can). You can get it at any auto parts store for about $6. It is made for cleaning electrical components and it dries quickly.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the tips, advice, and information.

I will be doing that asap.. Hopefully this weekend, if not sooner.

Good night,

CJ

Flyingvan911

Try the CRC product (red spray can). You can get it at any auto parts store for about $6. It is made for cleaning electrical components and it dries quickly.
This stuff also takes the GL writing off a deuce hood.

A thin rattail file also works well for cleaning electric connectors.

idM1028

Small screwdriver. Like micro screwdriver small. Most of the electrical connectors on the CUCV's have some sort of plastic plug and the actual contact inside that. If you look, there's usually a small tab on the actual contact that you can bend ever so slightly and CAREFULLY to pop the contact out. After that, I've found a small brass bristle brush works great. My favorite used to be a GI 5.56mm barrel brush attached to a section of cleaning rod. Once you're done, you can bend the tab back into place and pop it back into the plug.

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips, advice..

Ryan, ok I will be careful.

But is it safe to use the CRC cleaner on those printed ribbon circuits?

Good night,

CJ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks