• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Endgate Torque Rods

Lapua Dan

I have torque rods installed in my current endgate. The TM lists the plastic bushings, or spacers, as rubber round sections. Mine are in poor condition.
I am considering buying a new endgate from LMC. Those bushings don't seem to be available.
Do I need to install the torque rods and make due or find something that works as bushings? Or can I leave the torque rods off the truck entirely?
And insight into whether the torque rods are needed would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan
(I searched; I blame Google.)

bartmech88

I just did all of this in the last year. You will need the torque rods, the gate will be really heavy to lift and put down with out them. Maybe look at a junkyard/pull-a-part place close to you to see if you can find the bushings. Make sure you take your time installing the gate with the rods installed, and take off the rear bumper if you need to. Also when you order the gate from LMC do not order new hardware from them, try and reuse what you can where you can. The gate from LMC will have several nuts welded in place for bolts, one place is where the window lift mechanism mounts. Every one of these bolts are metric. Go to a local hardware store and buy what you need in metric. Please, don't make the mistake I did by trying to force the old hardware in that stuff, unless you are good at removing broken off studs. If you have any other questions reach out.

Lapua Dan

Bart, Thanks! That helps a lot. Screwing up bolts on a new endgate would have been the beginning of the end. I have a friend who deals in rubber parts and I will see what we can put together. I messed with those torque rods before and it was a near disaster. I will try removing the bumper for the next one.

usabamaman

Bart, Thanks! That helps a lot. Screwing up bolts on a new endgate would have been the beginning of the end. I have a friend who deals in rubber parts and I will see what we can put together. I messed with those torque rods before and it was a near disaster. I will try removing the bumper for the next one.

Good luck on removing the bumper. My M1009 obviously sat in the weather for 27 years. The only real rust on it was under the bumpers and the the supports for them. When I had the vehicle painted in the body shop the bumper bolts had to be cut off with a torch due to the bumper bolts being seized permanently with rust. Then the slight damage to the bumpers from the torch was welded and ground back to specs. Then the bumper and supports were sandblasted, primed and painted with CARC three color to US Army pattern. New bumper bolts were used with copper anti-seize. It now stays in the garage.

Ilikemtb999

My truck is relatively rust free and usually never fights me but those dang bumper bolts front and rear were terrible. Ended up getting them as loose as possible and cutting the heads off. I just put regular bolts in and painted them this time around. I'm sure they'll be off again.

48cj2a

Back in the 80s I cut the rods when I did a body lift kit on a Civy K5 Blazer and it was not an issue with opening/lowering - lifting/closing the tailgate. It's not that heavy to close

Just help it down and don't let it slam when opening it.

Unless your hinge mounts are questionable from bad rust out, I would not hesitate to cut or remove them again.

Lapua Dan

I just spoke with a friend who said he was able to remove the bumper from his truck. Broke every bolt doing it. I guess that's the plan. I will try to save them, but be prepared to replace the bolts.

cucvrus

Take a torch and cut the round heads off of the bolts. They are real knuckle busters. Just go to the hardware store and buy 8 1/2" carriage bolts and 8 1/2" serrated flange nuts and paint the bumper and the bolts and put it back on with a 3/8" ratchet and a deep 3/4" socket. Or lay under it and stand on your head and heat every nut red hot and salvage the OEM bolts just to spend hours attempting to clean the threads and still have crappy bumper bolts. That is an opinion thing. Do as you wish. No torch? A grinder works also for cutting the heads off. Good Luck. Wear safety glasses and gloves.

bryfor

Ive heard those lmc replacement m1009 lift gates arent great. Crappy fit and flimsey...and the shipping charges are out of the universe. But if you go with it let me know if thats true. I would prob road trip to pick it up and call it a vacation!

Lapua Dan

I haven't ordered it yet. I am trying to decide on what else to buy to go over the $1000 mark, then the freight is free. It's not a great plan.
When I get it done, I will update on fit and finish.

reaper556

I too have heard replacement sheet metal and tailgates from lmc straight up suck. I read on another forum where a guy returned his truck tailgate for his m1008 because it felt like his hands were going to push through it when he closed it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks