• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 engine difference

M1009resto

I tried searching for this question already, but is the 1986 m1009 the best year because of the engine? Or was I told a load of crap? I found a 84 for sale but I was told to get a 86 because the engine is better.
Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Barrman

I am under the impression all of the CUCV trucks had the same engine from the factory the entire production run. They have the same cast engine number and the same part number.

My 1985 versions do great.

Keith_J

The only differences are the injector pump internals. Most vehicles have had the injector pumps swapped. That is on the engine side.
There are some differences on prop shafts and driveline components on the M1009 side.

cucvrus

Well if I had to say there is a difference I would say only a few internal parts. But i have run them equally hard and never had any failures. Under the valve covers the earlier ones had cast rockers and the later years had stamped rockers with nylon keepers. No show stopper. i never had any trouble with either design. Good Luck. the 1984 is the introduction year.

M1009resto

Well if I had to say there is a difference I would say only a few internal parts. But i have run them equally hard and never had any failures. Under the valve covers the earlier ones had cast rockers and the later years had stamped rockers with nylon keepers. No show stopper. i never had any trouble with either design. Good Luck. the 1984 is the introduction year.
Thank you all! So I should be go to with a 84 then.
I just want to make sure as this will be my daily driver.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find a body shop to paint it for you.

Also I hope you have yourself a backup for a daily driver. You will need it from time to time until you've worked out all of the problems that will show up. I'm not saying that these trucks aren't reliable. They are as reliable as your wallet is full once you fix everything that has been neglected by the previous owner.

Have fun and carry some spare parts.

cucvrus

I plan on repainting it, olive drab as it's half butt tan. Any tip you guys can give? I'm by no means a painter. But I would like to get it back to OE as possible.View attachment 823818View attachment 823819View attachment 823820
I think it looks great. It has character and patina. And top of that it has CARC TAN paint and will last a lifetime. It is a battle wagon and mainly needs some TLC and some true to the book maintenance. Remember it is a 1984. They are selling 2021 models now and that makes that M1009 37 years young. It lasted this long a few clean ups and repairs it will last for years. I would scrub that whole truck down with a 3M white scratch pad and some Dawn dish soap. Like cleaning and old penny it will look great when you are done. Don't hack it and don't lift it and you have a vehicle that will retain value for years. I think it looks great. Do first class repairs as needed and keep it that way.

M1009resto

I think it looks great. It has character and patina. And top of that it has CARC TAN paint and will last a lifetime. It is a battle wagon and mainly needs some TLC and some true to the book maintenance. Remember it is a 1984. They are selling 2021 models now and that makes that M1009 37 years young. It lasted this long a few clean ups and repairs it will last for years. I would scrub that whole truck down with a 3M white scratch pad and some Dawn dish soap. Like cleaning and old penny it will look great when you are done. Don't hack it and don't lift it and you have a vehicle that will retain value for years. I think it looks great. Do first class repairs as needed and keep it that way.
Definitely not lifting it, what else do you recommend I do maintenance wise it's been sitting for some time. What do you recommend for this damage, it was repainted but Original 383.Hghjuyh.jpgGgbbnj.jpgHghjuyh.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only difference between years that I’m aware of is the HP rating.
The 84 is 135hp I think and my 87 is 155hp according to the emissions sticker on the stock air cleaner.
It includes the year and HP rating.

cucvrus

That door and fender are basically scrap. But I would get them functional and live with it. I drove an M1009 for 10 years that didn't have a straight panel on it. It didn't make it run and drive any better then a perfect one. That is functional and patina of a battle wagon. 108.JPG109.JPG110.JPG111.JPG112.JPG Maintained all stock except added gauges and an XM radio. Sounded like a concert in a tin can. I made my rocker panels out of 3 X 3 1/4" box tubing and attached them to the cab supports after welding 3/8 x 3" flat bar to the mount flanges My drivers side fender I trimmed with a sawzall because both doors . fenders, 1/4 panels were smashed by a loader. Compliments of 28th ID. FITG PA. That's the way you treat a 29K mile vehicle.

IdahoPlowboy

I think the door could be saved with a partial skin that is available and not expensive, but the labor to do it cost a bit unless you do it yourself. The fender could be very much improved with a bit of hammer and dolly work but you would need to remove it and make sure you know where all the shims go back and just go slow and easy/ the door could also be much improved the same way without a new skin.

MarcusOReallyus

Definitely not lifting it, what else do you recommend I do maintenance wise it's been sitting for some time.
We have a saying around here: "If it's rubber, replace it. If it's electrical, clean it."

You have a vacuum pump at the back of the engine. There are a few vacuum lines attached to it which are probably rotted. That is how the transmission shifts, so you probably want to replace them. Take a gander at your fuel lines and your brake lines. They are probably pretty old.

Pull, check, and clean all your fuses and their contacts with some contact cleaner, and maybe a wire brush or some fine sandpaper. Not a bad idea to split the firewall connection and clean that, too. Check and clean ALL of your grounds. There are a bunch of them. Not sure, but there might be a write up on the grounds in the Helpful Threads sticky.

There is a TON of good info in there. Start reading! :)

You have a nice vehicle, but it's going to be a while before you get it up to being reliable enough for a DD. These beasts are old, and time takes its toll just as much as mileage.

M1009resto

Well the guy I was supposed to get the M1009 was a flake. But you all would not believe the next one I found! Once all is well and legit I will update this post with pictures and such. If I do get this one but I would need to source some front and back seats. If anyone has any for sale?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the guy I was supposed to get the M1009 was a flake. But you all would not believe the next one I found! Once all is well and legit I will update this post with pictures and such. If I do get this one but I would need to source some front and back seats. If anyone has any for sale?
John at Hillbilly Wizard probably has them those seats (sorry, been reading to many of Rick's posts). https://www.hillbillywizard.com/

nyoffroad

And I was just about to tell you DON'T PAINT IT OD!! Those things are hot enough here in NY summers, I can't even imagine having a non-AC equipped OD green Blazer in AZ !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks