• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 engine knock, grind, rattle

djv

I am somewhat new to the site and I must start off by thanking everyone for their help and input. Since getting my m1009 I have been able to do almost all of the maintenance and repairs with little prior mechanical knowledge and a great deal of help from my brother (hollowman) and the advice and guidance here on SS. Thank you. I am hoping to get some advice for a few new issues.

Here are my issues.

1. I am having a knocking/rattling as show in the video link below, when the engine is under load. At first it was intermittent at idle and when accelerating. Now it seems to be present whenever I accelerate or step on the gas. I have made some modifications and adjustments (retarding the injection pump, spin on fuel filter, new GPR) but the rattling/knocking has never coincided with any of those modifications and most have been present on the truck for several months. I does seem to be coming from the engine itself but I am new to this and I am no authority on these things. The wing nuts are tight I did review the TM and I have yet to check the engine mounts. Please see the video as it may provide more information. In the video the truck was purposefully started and stopped 3x to show the grinding (from the starter) and the knocking.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2THoyRMC30&feature=plcp[/media]

2. Also in the video you can vaguely hear a grinding just after the second and third start that, based on what I have read about starting issues here, seems to be the locking starter. I assume this means I need a new starter at some point?

All insight is greatly appreciated.

List of maintenance/modifications since I have owned it:

New: belts, glow plug relay, exhaust, oil change, air cleaner, fuel lines
Spin on fuel mod
cleaned injection nozzle
Retarded injection pump (due to extensive black exhaust: worked well)
removed and cleaned drivers side injectors and intake manifold
electric tailgate
wiper motor from a K30
air horn

Last edited:

muddobber40

Im sure there is, They call it a flywheel in the TM. Just have to remove the cover held in place with 6 15mm headed bolts, and the 5/8 headed bolt that is used to secure the clamp on the transmission lines. Look for cracks where it bolts to or around the crankshaft. Also, grab a hold of it and try rotating it side to side. THere should be no play. Sometimes the cracks are not visible, but the knock will be much louder with the cover off if this is the problem

djv

Thanks muddobber40, that would make sense and could likely contribute to both issues. I will check and post after.

djv

So I reluctantly bought and installed a Made in China starter which is working so far. Also made the doghead starter mod and checked the flywheel / flexplate. All that I have noticed is some wear on the flexplate in the teeth at about a 45 degree angle. No cracks that I can see. I went through the troubleshooting in the TM: tightened and adjusted alternator belts, recently had new exhaust installed and everything seems ok there, checked the harmonic balancer and that seems to be intact and fine. I have also recently run a bunch of injector cleaner over the past 6 months so I doubt its an injector but cant bee 100% sure. I'm at the point where "If knock is still evident, notify your supervisor." The only thing I can see which is evident in these videos, is some possible wobble from the pulley near the harmonic balancer but I checked the bolts and they are all tight. aua If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. Check out the videos, they should show the problem. You can hear the low level ticking/knocking at idle.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAb3GGwC6po&feature=plcp[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFDzCBAHxjE&feature=plcp[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k12Bp_XAQ78&feature=plcp[/media]

Attachments

Last edited:

donalloy1

I am somewhat new to the site and I must start off by thanking everyone for their help and input. Since getting my m1009 I have been able to do almost all of the maintenance and repairs with little prior mechanical knowledge and a great deal of help from my brother (hollowman) and the advice and guidance here on SS. Thank you. I am hoping to get some advice for a few new issues.

Here are my issues.

1. I am having a knocking/rattling as show in the video link below, when the engine is under load. At first it was intermittent at idle and when accelerating. Now it seems to be present whenever I accelerate or step on the gas. I have made some modifications and adjustments (retarding the injection pump, spin on fuel filter, new GPR) but the rattling/knocking has never coincided with any of those modifications and most have been present on the truck for several months. I does seem to be coming from the engine itself but I am new to this and I am no authority on these things. The wing nuts are tight I did review the TM and I have yet to check the engine mounts. Please see the video as it may provide more information. In the video the truck was purposefully started and stopped 3x to show the grinding (from the starter) and the knocking.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2THoyRMC30&feature=plcp[/media]

2. Also in the video you can vaguely hear a grinding just after the second and third start that, based on what I have read about starting issues here, seems to be the locking starter. I assume this means I need a new starter at some point?

All insight is greatly appreciated.

List of maintenance/modifications since I have owned it:

New: belts, glow plug relay, exhaust, oil change, air cleaner, fuel lines
Spin on fuel mod
cleaned injection nozzle
Retarded injection pump (due to extensive black exhaust: worked well)
removed and cleaned drivers side injectors and intake manifold
electric tailgate
wiper motor from a K30
air horn
Almost fell out of chair when I heard that! Sounds like Starter is hanging up or Motor is about to BLOW. Loose Conncting Rod? Pretty scary on this end! My advice is to find loose end before operating further. DMLII sends...

donalloy1

So I reluctantly bought and installed a Made in China starter which is working so far. Also made the doghead starter mod and checked the flywheel / flexplate. All that I have noticed is some wear on the flexplate in the teeth at about a 45 degree angle. No cracks that I can see. I went through the troubleshooting in the TM: tightened and adjusted alternator belts, recently had new exhaust installed and everything seems ok there, checked the harmonic balancer and that seems to be intact and fine. I have also recently run a bunch of injector cleaner over the past 6 months so I doubt its an injector but cant bee 100% sure. I'm at the point where "If knock is still evident, notify your supervisor." The only thing I can see which is evident in these videos, is some possible wobble from the pulley near the harmonic balancer but I checked the bolts and they are all tight. aua If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. Check out the videos, they should show the problem. You can hear the low level ticking/knocking at idle.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAb3GGwC6po&feature=plcp[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFDzCBAHxjE&feature=plcp[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k12Bp_XAQ78&feature=plcp[/media]
That sounds much better! First audio was pretty awfull sounding. Maybe Starter swap did the trick. Send audio while throttling up and down please.

When I first got my O9 I reached out to Clan with same concerns. With time you and I will become content with sound. When cold its worse! Try Puddle of Mudd LOUD! Works for me till Motor Blows....