• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Engine Rewire Questions

Vexiis

Good Morning Everyone,
I am looking to pick up a m1009 to replace my 78 Ford Bronco, originally I was going to swap a diesel into the bronco but due to a number of laws and restrictions it will be vastly more cost effective to buy an m1009 and just make upgrades for what I want from there. With that in mind I am putting together my project list. This may be a fool's errand of a project but one thing I have thought of is to simplify the engine wiring. In searching this site, ck5, and a few others I have not found a good list of every part of the engine that needs to be powered on the 6.2 diesel. Can anyone point me to a good resource or help fill in the gaps I am missing, overall the engine seems pretty simple. I am looking to switch first from 24v to 12v, then I want to centralize all engine wiring to a couple of power hubs.

I think I will need a 12v always on hub, 12v switched hub (when ignition is on), and a ground hub for sure.

Here are the items I know for sure I will need to account for, not counting the accessories, gauges and lights.

Starter
Injection Pump
Glow Plug Controller
Glow Plugs
Alternator

Is that really it?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CUCV has one of the most simple engine wiring systems around. The 12v/24v system is simple also one you have a grasp of what is going on.

Your truck so you can do with it what you want.

I have seen it many time that someone modifies the truck then sells it. The new owner comes here and wants to know how to put it all back.

Vexiis

I can appreciate that stance Warthog, it is harder to know what a prior owner did. With that said then, do you know of a better resource than the TM's for learning how the engine is setup? I have found wiring diagrams which I am sure are complete but are daunting to read to say the least.

*Thank you to the mod for moving this thread, my apologies I didn't realize it should be here instead of the main CUCV forum.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you tell if the wiring has been modified already? post some pictures of the major wiring areas and I should be able to tell what you have to work with.

Vexiis

I haven't purchased the truck yet, but the two I am looking at both are straight out of surplus. So I believe they are currently stock, I am trying to do all my research before purchasing.

MarcusOReallyus

If you are going to change things, you will need to understand the wiring, so, daunting or not, it's what ya gotta do. Once you get into it, it's really not bad. It just looks that way at first. Those TMs were designed for 18 year old GIs, after all.

The 24v system is really not complicated - it only runs the starter and the glow plugs, and the "resistor bypass" (a recommended mod) takes it out of the GP circuit, so it's only running the starter.

Everything else on the beast is straight 12v. All the lights, turn signals, all other engine functions. Everything. All 12 volt. No changes needed.

If you insist on switching the starter circuit to 12v, there's the "Roscommon method" which is well documented on this site. It's definitely the way to go, as it's a known quantity and well proven.

:beer:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks