• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Exhust system

Small Prepper

Evening ALL

Well my Exhust system finally started failing. I have been really lucky.
It's looks like the original system from 1985 ( not 100% sure) and I got almost 60k on truck. The truck came out of NY national guard unit. I picked up a complete system from O'reilly's for just over $300.00. With new manifold studs, clamps, o rings, hangers, mufflers, and pipes.

OK, a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to be the original system?
2) I know it has a galvanizing coating on the pipes, Would it be worth to paint it with high heat paint to give it longer life?
3) What is the temperature coming off the manifolds?
4) Would high heat paint from auto stores work?
5) When replacing system, Has anyone have a lot of problems with the manifold studs? Breaking or stripped/stripping?

Thanks
S.P.

nyoffroad

Studs do and will break, PIA but you do what you have to. I've used 3M spray galvanize made as a weld-thru primer, it's not cheap and has a LOT of zinc that means you have to shake and then shake it some more. I believe it helps it last but my exhaust seems to rust from the inside.

cucvrus

DSCF6354.jpgDSCF6355.jpgDSCF6358.jpgDSCF6360.jpg5) When replacing system, Has anyone have a lot of problems with the manifold studs? Breaking or stripped/stripping?
If this is a concern. I would not worry. Do you have access to an oxygen / acetylene torch. If so the 9/16" nuts on the 3/8" studs will be a breeze. This is one of my customers snow plow trucks. Everything on it is as rusty as can be. I was able to remove the nuts from this manifold with a torch and a spray of ice water. Worked every time. Go slow and heat as you go. If it gets tight apply more heat. Bright red gets it done.
If corrosion is such a concern. May I suggest you consider the stainless steel mandrel bent pipes. Makes a nice job all around. Of course it is more expensive. But really how long do you expect to be painting and cleaning an exhaust system. It will rust no matter what. I had an M1009 with Stainless steel exhaust. Good Luck. Be Safe.

Last edited:

joshuak

1) Is it possible to be the original system?
2) I know it has a galvanizing coating on the pipes, Would it be worth to paint it with high heat paint to give it longer life?
3) What is the temperature coming off the manifolds?
4) Would high heat paint from auto stores work?
5) When replacing system, Has anyone have a lot of problems with the manifold studs? Breaking or stripped/stripping?

My 2cents,

1) Yes
2) If it's worth it to you, give it a shot.
3) I've seen up to 1100 f on my EGT, I've read above that any higher than 1200 f and you start melting stuff, YMMV.
4) That's what I used, I suggest you read the instructions there is a recommended heating/cooling curing procedure.
5) Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Letting the parts soak in the rust buster of your preference for a couple of days in advance always helps, that and some good vice grips. I like acetone and ATF at 50/50. Put a few drops on each stud each time you remember.

IMG_0987.jpg

joshuak

Hey SP, your talking about painting your new exhaust right? If not I totally agree with cucvrus edit. Not worth the time on an old system

I started with a kit.

IMG_0915.jpg

Stainless, probably an overkill but sure would be nice .

MarcusOReallyus

Studs do and will break, PIA but you do what you have to. I've used 3M spray galvanize made as a weld-thru primer, it's not cheap and has a LOT of zinc that means .
That means you should not be welding it. Zinc and welding are a deadly combination. Proper weld-through primers are very low zinc for that reason.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
1979 When I was doing heavy industry demolition that required cutting, burning of large galvanized duct work we were required to take milk breaks to help with getting the zinc out of our body.

Purely preventative measure we were told. WRONG! I want this to be a warning that zinc poisoning is very deadly and no amount is safe. I was in the hospital for 2 days. After you have had it just the faint smell of burning zinc makes me ill.

LtDan

View attachment 780180View attachment 780181View attachment 780182View attachment 7801835) When replacing system, Has anyone have a lot of problems with the manifold studs? Breaking or stripped/stripping?
If this is a concern. I would not worry. Do you have access to an oxygen / acetylene torch. If so the 9/16" nuts on the 3/8" studs will be a breeze. This is one of my customers snow plow trucks. Everything on it is as rusty as can be. I was able to remove the nuts from this manifold with a torch and a spray of ice water. Worked every time. Go slow and heat as you go. If it gets tight apply more heat. Bright red gets it done.
If corrosion is such a concern. May I suggest you consider the stainless steel mandrel bent pipes. Makes a nice job all around. Of course it is more expensive. But really how long do you expect to be painting and cleaning an exhaust system. It will rust no matter what. I had an M1009 with Stainless steel exhaust. Good Luck. Be Safe.
I solved that problem by going to Hillbilly wizard for replacement manifolds. $20 each plus shipping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks