• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Flexplate Part No.

M923driver

Anyone know the NAPA (or other) part no. for the flexplate from a 1986 M1009? I have a bad spot on mine and occaisionally win the "roulette" game when it stops over the starter. Usually at night, in the rain, in the mud, or a combination of the above. Time for a new one!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this has been posted and discussed before. What search terms did you try before posting this?

And, you do know the -24P or -34P Tech Manuals have all the parts in exploded views and list GM part numbers, right?

Also, I think it's listed in the CUCV FAQ/WIKI.

Last edited:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1984 K-30 Chevy P/U with a 6.2 liter diesel should be all they need to know to look it up for you. I changed mine out last month and that's what I did...

If I remember correctly was about 60 clams. Look for the crankshaft bolts somewhere else though, I did not like the bolts they offered, got them at Advanced? The bolts for the TC was good to go though. Make sure you use the good old Blue thread lock, them engines vibrate!

M923driver

I know this has been posted and discussed before. What search terms did you try before posting this?

And, you do know the -24P or -34P Tech Manuals have all the parts in exploded views and list GM part numbers, right?

Also, I think it's listed in the CUCV FAQ/WIKI.

I searched the CUCV forum using "flex plate". Lots of listings, I'm sure it's in there somewhere. Just thought someone might have recently done one. I was hoping for the NAPA no. because that's where I'll most likely buy it. Their website lists six for a 4WD 1 ton truck. Different tooth count, ect. I'll look in the TM's for GM nos. and croos them. Thanks

M923driver

1984 K-30 Chevy P/U with a 6.2 liter diesel should be all they need to know to look it up for you. I changed mine out last month and that's what I did...

If I remember correctly was about 60 clams. Look for the crankshaft bolts somewhere else though, I did not like the bolts they offered, got them at Advanced? The bolts for the TC was good to go though. Make sure you use the good old Blue thread lock, them engines vibrate!

Thanks for the help. Not looking forward to the job, but it sure will be nice to get it fixed. It also came from GL with one starter bolt sheared off, so I'll take care of that as well. You got your flex plate at NAPA? I looked on their website and they list several. I'll get the GM part no and have them cross it. Just hate to get it all torn apart and end up with the wrong part. Thanks again for helping me out.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the help. Not looking forward to the job, but it sure will be nice to get it fixed. It also came from GL with one starter bolt sheared off, so I'll take care of that as well. You got your flex plate at NAPA? I looked on their website and they list several. I'll get the GM part no and have them cross it. Just hate to get it all torn apart and end up with the wrong part. Thanks again for helping me out.
You can get new starter bolts from your GM dealer, they should have them in stock or within a day or so. Do you know if the support bracket on the back of the starter is connected? If you don't see one, you will need to place a new one, it supports the back of the starter and also helps restrain the torque when starting. No bracket means broken bolts at best, it can also break the block, not good at all!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, I just looked it up in the -34PTM.

Then googled napa and the number( 14077157).

BAM, there it is, all over the Web(including here on SS).

Here's a thread that came up with the google search. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/80356-engine-flywheel-replacement-m1008.html

Several ways to find what you need. Starting with a definate is best(Part number from the TM).

Imagine what you'd find if your searched " 14077157" on SS(after finding the part number in the TM...

Last edited:

M923driver

You can get new starter bolts from your GM dealer, they should have them in stock or within a day or so. Do you know if the support bracket on the back of the starter is connected? If you don't see one, you will need to place a new one, it supports the back of the starter and also helps restrain the torque when starting. No bracket means broken bolts at best, it can also break the block, not good at all!

The bracket is there, but not connected. The bolt holding it to the starter, which I think also holds the housing on, is missing as well. I'm going to either replace or rebuild the starter because the drive teeth are also ground down a bit. This seems to have been an issue on this truck, considering the tooth damage and the missing/broken bolts. Good advise, thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which of the starters do you have? The direct drive or the gear reduction? The support brackets are different.

Cleptomaniac

Just finished mine. Took 3.5 hrs! Just cause im a little slow ;-p I put the fly wheel in backward and had it almost all put back together before I realized it!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a picture of the staters and the brackets.

The gear reduction is on the left and direct drive on the right.

Just make sure that you have the correct bracket.

You may be able to find the "missing" support bolt at a local starter/alternator build shop.

Attachments

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going all out to replace the flexplate, now would be a good time to have the starter rebuilt. Most shops won't cost that much and you would have piece of mind with a rebuild. Also, check your bendix, it might be ate up with your previous grinding when starting...

M923driver

It's the direct drive, and yes, it's going to be rebuilt/replaced. Right now one bolt is holding the case together and one bolt holding it on. I wonder how long it has been like that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks