• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Floppy Mirror Repair

cmroles

Has anybody repaired a floppy outside mirror on their M1009? My driver-side mirror would not stay out, and was being folded back against the door by wind if I drove anywhere about about 30 MPH.

When I disassembled I found that there is a plastic shim around the mirror shaft that should provide friction to keep the mirror in place once the clamp is tightened. This shim had dried out and fallen apart which prevented the clamp from holding the mirror in place.

I cut a 3" section from a 700x23C bicycle tube and stretched over the mirror post to create a new shim. This seems to be much better than it was, but not quite as good as the original shim (a little more effort to adjust, and has a tiny bit of play back and forth).

Has anyone else tried a different material that may have worked better? This seems like it will work, but I'm always looking for improvements!

taildragger03

I used a section of rubberized plastic I had left over from a project on an RV. Basically the stuff that folds into the channels that covers up visible screws to provide weather protection.

Or if your really good:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks