• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 from hundred dollar man

philjafo

So because i live in the rust belt of northern wisconsin and im looking for a cucv thats in really good shape, and for other reasons im planning a trip to fly out to california and drive an m1009 home. Its a little over 2000 miles, does this sound crazy to anyone? Has anyone here bought from hundred dollar man? I know he's on this site too so if you see this thread hundy feel free to contribute. The trip is still in the planning stages right now and i will be shooting for late summer, sept oct time frame. Am I expecting too much from one of these trucks to make such a trip without breaking down? Should i load up on spare parts and tools or just plan on spending a day doing maint to the truck before the trip? What would you bring with, do before leaving? Thanks for any input guys.

jdknech

when i had my M1009, i drove it all over the place.. i have never delt with hundy, but from what i have read here- he sounds like a pretty stand up guy.. if he says its good to go, i would drive it and never look back! just my2cents

truck1

I bought a trailer from Mark.Good guy and I dont think he would misrepresent a vehicle. Struck me as a straight shooter.Plus he has been in this surplus business for quite a while now. I drove from S.F. to his shop near Victorville and he had some nice rigs for sale.As far as your road trip I say yes,yes,and yes to your questions. You might break down,bring tools,and it is definitely doable. Download the TM's from this site before you go and I hope you are mechanically inclined. Sounds like great fun! My best memories are road trips. Bring a buddy to share the experience.I bought my 1028 sight unseen in SoCal near Hundy and drove it home without a problem.Ask Mark what's been done to the rig and bring spare diesel and a filter.Most parts you can get at Napa.Go for it! 99% chance you'll get a good rig from Hundy.

serial14

You should call 100dollar man to confirm, But when I spoke with them several months ago about CUCVs I was told they were getting out of the truck business and didn't have anything available. I have delt with him in the past and service was excellent.

philjafo

Thanks to all that responded, I sure hope he isnt getting out of the truck bussiness that would put sn end to the trip real quick. I will definately give him a call and hopefully it doesnt end before it even gets started.

cpf240

Just remember that these are 25+ year old trucks that may, or may not, have been treated well over their lifetime. Unless it has been gone through from bumper to bumper, and even if it has, I'd bring along at least all the common spares... belts, hoses, fuses, fluids, filters. AAA card, etc.

I have not dealt with Hundy, but my reading here leads me to believe that he is one of the good ones in this business.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

I got my 1009 from Mark, and looked at a few that he was offering. I passed on the first couple and waited almost 9 months for one to come in that I really liked. He only got the 1009s periodically (as Barstow let them go). Mine was almost rust free and he had a really nice one next to mine that was already sold to someone else that was coming to get it. Both were in pretty good shape.

Mark is a straight shooter and easy to work with. But...
You should call 100dollar man to confirm, But when I spoke with them several months ago about CUCVs I was told they were getting out of the truck business and didn't have anything available. I have delt with him in the past and service was excellent.
I think this is what I heard also.
He was doing bobed deuces when I got my M1009 and said he wouldn't be doing the CUCVs much anymore.
You should definitely contact him directly for more specifics. Im not sure hes even doing the Deuces anymore.

If he does have them, I say go for it.
Mine got fluids and bearings right away. I think Hundy put the batteries in, but I made some new batt tie downs.
Hydroboost leaked on the second day, so that got replaced quickly. New belts also.
I just recently replaced the tires, but I would have been concerned about the originals lasting 2,000 miles. They were fairly cracked from ozone/sun.

Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks