• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 front axle lock up

trooper632

Happy Thanksgiving guys and gals... Here's the problem, M1009 front axle locks up after about 3 feet of travel ONLY in reverse. Im guessing carrier bearing gone bad but i havent opened it up any ideas, thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking pinion bearing. Slide under and grab the front shaft at the pinion and give is a shake.

Skinny

Pinion may be wedging itself into the carrier if that was the issue opposed to it trying to come out of the housing. Either way you will see a ton of oil near the yoke.

Sounds like catastrophic failure, I would prepare for an axle swap or costly internal repairs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are enough NOS 10 bolts out there that rebuilding is probably cost restrictive.

cucvrus

The only shame I see is. The shame that it went bad. I am sure you are not looking for something to do. I have had 1/2 ton 4 X 4 Chevy trucks all my life and everyone had one of the cooperate 10 bolts in it. I never had any problems with them. Same as the millions of others that were built and used. They worked well for the intended use. If you were closer I could give you a deal on one right out of the crate. But as a rule I never/seldom sell any used front 10 bolt axles. They just don't seem to go bad. The 10 bolt rears? Well that is a different story. These 3:08 gears may not be the greatest. But they did serve well for the past 30 years. I must agree with Recovery 4 x 4. They are not worth going thru the problem to rebuild. Unless you do the work yourself and caught the damage in time that it is just a few bearings. But are you sure it is the front differential? Have a happy Thanksgiving.indexAll hooked up and ready to go..jpg

cucvrus

Just be sure that is the problem. And swapping the entire assembly is the wise thing to do. I was pointing out to make sure the problem is not something else. Did it run out of oil? Or is one of the calipers / U-joints locked up? I sold a 6.2 engine to a friend a few years back and he said his engine had thrown a rod. He pulled the engine and when he had it out he found a cracked flex-plate. 2 mechanics told him it was a rod knocking. I never heard the noise but he brought the engine back and i refunded his money. A few months later a a man called me and said he had the same sound on a 6.2 and I told him on the phone to check his flex-plate. He called me back and thanked me because he was at a garage and was going to get the engine changed. So I am not sure of your mechanical skills. But i always advise people to find the problem and properly diagnose it before going and changing a major component. You may already know that. But some people are not as skilled and are gullible for poor diagnosis and the mechanics will never call you back and say . Hey I changed your engine the bill is $2K but all that was wrong was it needed a $50. flex-plate. Same as the front axle. it could be something simple. Good Luck. I hope it works out for you. Happy Holidays.rs_500x326-141217151556-TheGrinchCartoonhappy grinch.gif

trooper632

**** its just and old ranch m1009 that i bought for 400 bucks about 10 years ago, rusted out floorboards abut it has run great the whole time ive had it. cant complain, i leave the hubs locked all the time on it, just use 4wd when i need it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks