• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Front battery not charging

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am sure some of you know this better than I do but the front battery in our M1009 is only reading 12.6 Volts and the rear one is reading 14.7 Volts. Both alternator belts are tight an the generator lights do not come on but the Voltage gage is reading in the yellow.

Is this an all right to run with situation or am I looking at a future dead front battery? If it is the latter which alternator charges the front battery and in most cases like this is the alternator the culprit or are there other demons in there robbing Voltage?

Thanks and God bless,

ida34

If a diode goes out in an alt it will run week without showing you the light. 12.6 is not enough to charge the battery properly. Take it off and have it load tested. If the belt is not slipping then you probably need an alt. A quick load check will tell you the story. Since it is putting out a little charge I would say a diode went out and you need a rebuild or replace.

What is the voltage at the front battery with the engine not running? If you see no change you may have a problem with the alt and the light. If the battey reads below the 12.6 then you know it is putting out a little charge. A fully charged battery should read around the 12.6 mark without the engine running.

rgguin

David, I had a similar problem and it was the right side alternator, the regulator inside the alternator had gone bad.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Does everyone agree that it is the right side alternator that I need to check and I take it that means #2? Also if mounting a Solarizer on the M1009 would the connections be made at the firewall buss bar?

Thanks and God bless.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I plan on replacing the alternator today when I get home. Does anyone know of a 100 Amp or bigger substitute for the #1 Alternator that will bolt in and fit without major reconstruction?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Got a call from my Son and the M 1009 did not start again after rebuilding the #1 alternator and load testing the batteries it is getting to be a dad help me thingy. Not that I am trying to shrug off my fatherly duties but anyone else have this trouble and find a cure?

ida34

Did the #1 test bad before the rebuild? What is the reading on the front battery when it did not start? When you do get it started what is the voltage reading on the front battery while running? You may have a large draw somewhere that is drawing down the front battery. If the draw is in the 12 circuit it would only effect the front battery. If you get something around 14.7 volts at the front while running this may be your problem. Also check the ground cable and make sure it makes good ground to the engine and body. Also check to see if there is any current draw off the front battery when everything is shut off and the vehicle is not running. Do not rule out the possibility that the rebuild you but in is bad. That is why I say check everything else then as a last resort take the alt back to the re-builder to test. I have had more than a few rebuilt alts and starters be bad as soon as you but them on. This can really screw with your head as you are saying to yourself "it is brand new it can't be bad". I hope this helps.

KaiserJeep715

my alt was not charging either of my batteries (on my duece) ...long story short here i changed alt still same problem changed the accessory switch on the dash...still same problem.... i eventually found out that there was a loose wire on the accessory switch which didn't allow the alt to recharge batteries... my volt gauge stayed in the yellow for a few days until the batteries just didn't have enough to turn the engine over.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks guys:
This is exactly the guidance I was looking for I will hit it when I get home. Great news on flight school if you get MEDEVAC they rock. Be careful in SWA I got back from 13 months there in July and know the deal keep your eyes and ears open all the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks