• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Front Brakes not fully released after stopping

codematic

All,

- 84 M1009,
- new calipers and pins, rubber lines, and pads.
- Newly turned rotors
- happens on both front wheels
- when the system is "tight" without a foot on the pedal, loosen the bleeder screw, and NO fluid comes out (rules out pressure issue up-line)
- pedal is fully up.

When i drive just normally in the city the hubs are getting very hot. Ive narrowed this down to the front brakes are not releasing fully.. if you try to spin the tire while jacked off the ground it will not turn more than 1/4 turn. If i manually return the caliper with a screw driver the wheel turns freely.

- Bearings are newly greased and properly torqued. its def the brakes.

- I greased the (new) pins when i installed the (new) calipers..

do i need to grease anything else? or ideas as to the cause?

thanks.

Drock

Are these floating calipers like on the m1008's & m1028's? If so you'll need to use grease specific to brakes on the sliding portions of the caliper.

tequilaiam

Food for thought:

I had a pad wear unevenly on my motorcycle that lead to this. Basically, as the pad wore down it created a wedge shape that was applying a bit of torque to the piston to make it try to tilt a bit in the caliper. This gave it just enough stitction to drag but not be noticeable when in operation. It probably let a lot of gunk past the seal as only this caliper was dirty inside. Root cause was incorrect installation(oops) that didn't really manifest itself until the pad was about half worn.

So that said, if brake grease doesn't fix it pull the pads to see if they are wearing evenly. See if the pistons are moving freely. If nothing else, you might have to clean some gunk out of the calipers.

HAWKMAN

Even though your calipers are new they can still be defective...but maybe check your equilizer valve first, it may be the thing that's malfunk..2cents

61sleepercab

A quick check of calipers, remove wheel and with brake tool/pry bar check and see if caliper pistons are free and pistons move in and out freely. New parts may still be bad due to bad rebuild. Is equalizer valve stuck or master cylinder piston stroke not uncovering vent ports in master cylinder. Good Luck. Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks