• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 front spindle bearing nuts

scrambled

I was attempting to tighten my front wheel bearings yesterday and ran into a spindle nut that I have never seen before. The nut is a large 6 pointed star. Has anyone ever seen one before?

When you remove the lockout, there is another snap ring and washer before the nut.

I have rebuilt tons of axles over the years and never seen a nut like it.

Its in an 84 M1009.

Thanks,
Travis

Keith_J

Page 8-4 of the -20 available here. Note middle of the page. Not needed, may be discarded. Not on 1984 but may be present on 85-87 vehicles.

Crash_AF

The early CUCVs had a different spindle nut than the 4 pin ones that have been used in Dana 44 axles since the 60s... I would recommend trashing them and getting the 4 pin ones as they are a direct swap. NAPA sells them and all my local NAPAs have several sets in stock.

Later,
Joe

Dodgeman1941

Ours had that one, the center part of the nut is round on the outside, then there are 6 "roll pins" that are held on by and outerband. There is a snap ring that is holding in a little key, remove the snapring. You thread a 4-40 machine screw into the end of the key, pull that key out and you are golden. When putting everything back togather, that outer ring acts like a self torquing nut. Ours wouldn't go all the way to the torque spec'ed in the manual, but is very very close. I checked that wheel for any bearing slop a couple days after reassembly and everything was still tight. Do yourself a favor, while you have it that torn apart, pull your axle shaft and replace the u-joint.

scrambled

Here is a pic. I have a bunch of the normal nut sets laying around and was gonna change them out. I tried hitting the nut with a punch and hammer, but no go. might have to make a little tool to get these things off.

Attachments

scrambled

Looks like the manual says 84 is different. if there is a key in between the nut and spindle, it would explain a few things. I gotta see if I have a #4-40 screw laying around.

scrambled

There is a key in there. The driver side one doesnt budge and has a piece of a screw broken off inside of it. YAY!

The passenger side had the nut on backwards, but the key came out with a pick.

One side has better nuts now. Gonna have to worry about the stuck key later. I remember why I gave up wrenching for a living...

jimm1009

That is the 83 & 84 version of the nuts and locking mechanism.
I drove them with wtih a chisel and threw them away and went to the 85 & newer configuration.
It works much better during the lubrication cycle which is 10,000 miles per the TM and uses a more common and easier to find tool (socket).
The TM shows the difference in old and 2nd generation.
jimm1009

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks