• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 front springs....too saggy?

Ilikemtb999

Hey All,
Ive been slowly chasing a fix for my m1009's jarring feeling over bumps and had a quick question about my front springs and if they're too arched or not. I've searched but haven't come to any definitive answers as too how much (or how little arc) they should have. I know they're reverse arc springs but I have about 2-2 1/2" of space between the pad and bump stop. Included are some pictures showing how close it is to the bump stops and arc.

spring.jpgspring2.jpg

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea they look pretty tired. Just think about it; those springs have been supporting 50% of your truck's weight for 28 years!

You may want to consider a spring-based 2" lift kit. By only lifting the truck 2", you probably would not have to change drive shafts, shocks, brake lines, or steering components (y'all correct me if I'm wrong). Your ride would be improved and so would your off-road articulation.

Hope this helps.

Westech

CPL
They look like every other blazer front spring I have seen. You replace the steering stabilizer? Inspected all the tie rods and ball joints? Inspected/ tested shocks? Serviced the wheel bearings? Lots of things will make it act funny on the road besides lazy springs.

FatBuddhaBoo

Yeah mine are about the same, causing the truck to not even sit level. It's on the list, and I'll either do a two inch lift like Sharecropper mentioned or buy factory replacements from LMC.

Ilikemtb999

They look like every other blazer front spring I have seen. You replace the steering stabilizer? Inspected all the tie rods and ball joints? Inspected/ tested shocks? Serviced the wheel bearings? Lots of things will make it act funny on the road besides lazy springs.
The truck drive perfectly fine on anything smooth, even at highway speeds. No wandering, shaking or pulling. When I hit any sort of bumps it feels like death.

Ilikemtb999

Ball joints and tie rods are all tight and boots still look new (can't be too old). No wheel bearing play. I've replaced all the bushings front and rear with energy suspension ones since they were all dry rotted.

K9Vic

A 2" lift does not require changing the steering arm to be replaced unlike a 4" lift. You can get the lift with all springs for about $600 shipped, or find a local spring and frame shop to re-arch you current springs that would give you about 2" lift.

Ilikemtb999

I don't want anything more than 2-2.5". Honesty if I could get stock replacements for a decent price I'd get those but when they're nearly the price of decent lift springs its hard to go the stock route.

Ilikemtb999

I don't know what happened but it looks like a few posts disappeared. :confused:

Anyways, ORD seems to be the place for parts. Do I want the tuff country EZ springs or the HD springs? They make mention of the HD's for heavy front ends but not sure if just the 6.2 will be enough weight to warrant them or not. I certainly don't want a rough ride if I can avoid it. Eventually I want to build it into a small lift/big tire vehicle for when I get out west. I wasn't planning on starting with a small lift first but I guess that's the route I'm taking haha

Lebowski

I think with the weight of the 6.2 they would suggest the HD springs. I would call and talk to them.

Maybe the post disappeared because I direct linked? Not sure. Oh well, just visit offroaddesign. com's "Our Own 4x4" section.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

Looks like the forum has been reverted back a few hours. No biggie. I got your links via email. Eventually I want my blazer to be similar to that suburban low buck build. Just don't quite have that kind of cash to dump on it right now. I'd probably just do the front springs and blocks in the rear till I have the money for a shackle flip. Then axles and tires.

Getting back to my current springs, is there anybody with a stock suspension m1009 that could measure the distance between the anchor plate on top of the springs and the mount for the bump stop?

Lebowski

This might help, from an ORD post:

for ride height, the measurement we work from the most is measuring from top of axle tube to the bumpstop mount on the frame. we figure a stock truck is typically 8.5 to 9" so a 3" lift should end up around 12".

prairie

Yeah mine are about the same, causing the truck to not even sit level. It's on the list, and I'll either do a two inch lift like Sharecropper mentioned or buy factory replacements from LMC.
If M1009's were like Blazers, they never set level when new. I can see leveling a M1009/Blazer, if you like that look, as they have always been used mainly as passenger vehicles anyway.
I have never understood the need or desire to level pickups. Pickups are built with the rear higher than the front, so that they sit right when hauling loads. I grew up around and still use 20 (3/4 ton) to 30 (1 ton) series light duty pickups, and medium duty trucks (4500-6500 series), for farm and commercial use. Today most pickups are used like cars, so I guess it probably doesn't hurt leveling them, but they sure look silly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks