• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Front Wheel Bearings

AECS

My head hurts.

2 Weeks ago I replaced the wheel bearings, but did not have a torque wrench. So the next weekend I acquired a wrench and re-torqued to spec(35 Ft Lbs.). The lock washer lined up on both sides at 35 pounds so all went back together. Wheels had a good amount of drag but that is what the manual called for (Chilton and mil). That is when the hubs started getting hot. Today I pulled apart, cleaned, repacked and re-torqued, still getting hot.

I re-read the manual, both Chilton and Mil. I think I misread them. I read torque to 35 Lbs. and back off no more then 3/8 turn to align the pin to the lock washer. I am now thinking that it should be interpreted as back off 3/8 turn THEN align lock washer, is that correct? I am thinking the heat is from to much pre-load.

If I am misguided and anyone enlighten me on what is wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

dependable

Wheels should not have drag, nor should you feel any play. Pre load should be almost neutral, the torque is to be sure bearings are fully seated, then back off first nut until almost loose. The second lock nut should be tight against first nut, install locking mechanism.

I guess that is a lousy description of method I've used for many vehicles over many miles. Someone will likely do better.

AECS

Well That was the problem. I have never used a torque wrench before always by feel, this time I decided to follow the book, but it seems the CA public school district did not teach me to read to good....

Hasdrubal

Read the TM's, its all in there ; Install nut with the protrusion out, torque to 50 ft lbs per the -20 (spinning the disc while tightening to evenly seat the bearings)... then back off, re-torque to 35 ft/lbs, then back off 3/8 of a turn, until protrusion lines up with the closest hole in the lock washer. Then install the outer spindle nut and torque to 160 ft lbs per TM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks