• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 fuel consumpation, what is your MPG?

Barrman

My M1009 consistently got 19-22 mpg all stock. I put 33x12.50 tires on and running the same gps road speed still got 19-22 mpg in all kinds of driving. It couldn't pull hills above 52 mph either.

I put in a new pump and haven't gotten better than 17 in the last 4 months running the same basic speeds. However, it attacks hills now and it is hard to keep it below 65 on the open road.

I have the timing 1 maybe 2 line widths to the drivers side of the mark on the block. I keep thinking about turning the timing back to straight up, but I love the power and less than a second start ups in all kinds of temps.

Pretty much if your truck is starting right up, idles smooth and consistently gets above 15 mpg. Enjoy and keep driving.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got 200+ miles on a half a tank my first drive. Can't give an exact number obviously until I fill the tank. Almost all interstate miles at 65-70 MPH.

wes935

I consistantly get 18 to 21 mpg on my stock M1009. Combination of driving 65 to 70 mph on city highways and around town. 31x10.50 tires on stock wheels.

howesblazer

If you drive on the highway i notice you get considerably better mileage, just yesterday i did a 60 mile trip down to the cape and burned a little less than 3 gallons.
On the other side i off road mine alot and i figured the mileage while beating on the truck to be around 9 mpg eeeek

linx310

I get 23-25 MPG on highway trips running about 55 mph.

I get 18-19 MPG mixed use.

I have excel mileage logs to back it up, the key is to accelerate like an old person and to stay around 55-60 mph on the highway.

camp9

I get about 16mpg with my M1009, has the 31" tires, thought I would do better being I get 15mpg with my M1031. Next set of tires will be 33" or bigger.

Vet89

I get around 20 miles per gallon, I add two of the cans of 2 stroke(or cycle) motor oil with every tank.

I have talked up my 1008 also for its mileage. I have buddies with 1 ton trucks that get 8-10 mpg in their gassers.

Last edited:

camogriz

I am only able to manage about 16 mpg with my M1009 during highway driving around 65 mph. It rides on 32x12.50R15 BFG KM2's. They are not that loud for mud tires.

Anubis8472

I can't wait till the weather warms up.....

Before winter I was averaging 18-20 mpg
This was about 50/50 freeway/surface streets, I take the freeway to work(60-65mph), and the slow roads home.

Through this winter I've been averaging 16-18 mpg
Again mosty 50/50, although I have tried to change it up from tank to tank. One tank freeway both ways, one tank surface streets, this had had no effect on mpg.

So I'm getting 16-18 right now.
Temps have been 20-30 degrees, I'm hoping to get back around 18-20 when the weather turns. Could be fuel spent warming it up, could be winter diesel mix, combination of factors.

If the mileage doesn't come back, I'll start looking for tweaks.
This is on 32x10.5 tires.
Should also mention I add 16oz of 2-cycle to every tank, and an aditional 12oz of opti-lube through the winter.

Last edited:
I can't wait till the weather warms up.....

Before winter I was averaging 18-20 mpg
This was about 50/50 freeway/surface streets, I take the freeway to work(60-65mph), and the slow roads home.

Through this winter I've been averaging 16-18 mpg
Again mosty 50/50, although I have tried to change it up from tank to tank. One tank freeway both ways, one tank surface streets, this had had no effect on mpg.

So I'm getting 16-18 right now.
Temps have been 20-30 degrees, I'm hoping to get back around 18-20 when the weather turns. Could be fuel spent warming it up, could be winter diesel mix, combination of factors.

If the mileage doesn't come back, I'll start looking for tweaks.
This is on 32x10.5 tires.
Should also mention I add 16oz of 2-cycle to every tank, and an aditional 12oz of opti-lube through the winter.
Yeah, warm-up time cuts down on fuel economy.

But Winter blends of fuel suck for economy in general. Both gas and diesel alike. Some people see even worse declines in mpg than you are.

tgtaylor64

All stock, including tires; best ever was a shade less than 21 on I-95 from Florence, SC to Jacksonville, FL going between 65 and 75 mph. Around town is about 16 to 18 mpg.

Wildcard85

Iv been driving My M1009 for almost a year now and at best I get 12 mpg. Thats driving at 55 or 65-70. Any ideas on how to get it up to 15 or the fabled 20 MPG!!! any help would be great.
Thanks

Csm Davis

Driving Vipers 1009 200 miles at 55 mph I got 29.7 mpg. Had full tank when I left and filled it as full as possible when I got back. His son uses it in his yard business and around town with a 16 foot trailer behind it full of mowers and equipment he gets 15-17mpg logged and checked. As to how we have put lots of work in on all the wheel bearings were replaced and used synthetic grease and brakes were reworked, new tires, new shocks, new fluid in transmission, basically anything we thought might need cleaning or fixed we did. And as we did the truck ran better and better.

Whitey

17-20 mpg on mine. Depends on what kind of driving I'm doing. And coming back from the Aberdeen rally this summer I was pulling 65-75 most of the way on 95 and the Baltimore beltway and was getting roughly 19 mpg.

85CUCVtom

My M1009 is my daily driver. I drive to work everyday and to night classes at the vocational school twice a week. I fill up maybe every 10 to 12 days. I'm easy on the throttle and don't exceed 65mph on the freeway. I get somewhere in the 20-22mpg range.

skywalker6582

Not sure what I get yet - just put new injector pump in and in process of swapping front axle. But I know that it's my economy car compared to the rest of my fleet: Excursion V10 @ 12 city 13 highway, Mercedes S600 v12 @ 12 city and 21 highway on premium, and the kid's Land Rover @ 14 city or highway on premium.

Barrman

Wildcard85,
Try to check your speedometer and odometer with a gps or mile marker signs on the highway. Figure out if they are even close to accurate and then figure out which way they are off. You have to do that before you can figure accurate mileage.

Then I would suggest you change your air filter, fuel filter and go for a long drive on the interstate at true 60 mph road speed. Top off the tank by being patient and getting liquid fuel all the way to the top, not just foam to the top of the filler neck before you go. Top it back off to the same level when you get back. Divide your corrected miles by the gallons and see what you really are getting out of the truck.

It is shifting into 3rd gear, right?

Whitey

Wildcard85,

It is shifting into 3rd gear, right?
Good point! The last few generations of Pontiac Grand Prix's/Impala's/Buicks had issues with the top gear going out. If you're down to 2 gears in a heavy truck I would imagine that would really kill the mpg!

-Whitey

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks