• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Fuel Filter Mod issues

Jkiszka

HISTORY:
When I first got my M1009 it didn't start up because of a broken resistor and bad glow plugs so I replaced all of the glow plugs and removed the resistor and set it to where it can only send 12v. The truck started after all this and drove for about a few hours before shutting off. Now I had a new issue to find. With the original fuel filter set-up in my M1009 the engine would start up after A LOT of priming and cranking, but would then die after a few minutes and noticed there was air in it when I tried to prime it again. So, I did some research and found out the original housing is prone to air leaks. I bypassed the original filter and placed an inline filter to make sure the air was getting into the housing. With the inline filter, the truck would start up with no issues and ran. After about 1 week and a 1/2 I decided to place on a new filter set-up.

CURRENT ISSUES:
I had replaced the filter housing and filter (due to an air leak) to a spin-on filter set up with a 3-micron filter w/ water separator by WIX. After I primed the filter the first time, the engine fired right up. It ran for about 8-10 minutes strong and then the engine shut off. When I checked the new spin-on filter, the filter was half empty. Also, when I opened the valve to bleed it pressurized air came out. Being that the air was pressurized, I know there is no air leaks. Now I have to crack the injector lines to let the air out, then prime it to start it. When I start it, it only runs for a few minutes. Does anyone know what's going on here?:shrugs:

Thanks!
IMG_2195.jpgIMG_2194.jpgView attachment IMG_2193.MOV

Last edited:

Drock

Sounds like your air leak is before the filter. However I wouldn't waste much time looking for the leak. Just replace *ALL* the rubber fuel lines, and the pump. All the rubber parts, and gaskets on these trucks are dry rotted. You"ll come to find that 90% of the problems you'll experience with these trucks is do to rotted soft parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks