• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Fusebox questions.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

My M1009 is beginning to have fusebox problems.

I have checked the TM's for a part number for the fusebox under the dash.
But have not been able to find it, found diagrams of the box, but no part numbers.

Anyone know the part number?
Anyone know where I can get a new one? or a good used one?
Do you have to replace the wiring harness just to replace the fusebox, or can you just replace the fusebox itself?
How difficult is it to remove and replace the fusebox? How long would it take, etc?

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Good day...

cpf240

Hey CJ -

From what I see in the -34p manual and the GM CUCV parts book, the fuse box is part of the dash harness. So, you'd have to replace the whole harness, unless you intend to splice in a replacement fuse box. I have not taken mine out, so have no experience with the ones in the CUCVs. I'm sure someone here knows more about it than I though.

K9Vic

If you have fuse problems are you sure it is the fuse block and not wiring elsewhere?
Have you checked to make sure all wiring is not exposed to ground out and cause a short?
Checked each fuse post with a meter to check loads?

You cannot just replace the fuse panel with out replacing the whole wire harness on the inside cabin. Every wire is crimped into the fuse panel and would have to be cut and re-crimped. I am 99.99% sure there is no option to get a new CUCV panel, only stock civilian that will likely not work. Only options for a replacement would be classified section or eBay. The fuse block is just screwed into the firewall with two or four screws, but to replace it you have to tear the whole dash down. It would be a long project and if you have not done any of this work I would recommend not doing it yourself. Electrical work is delicate and if you do not do it right you can risk shorts that can cause a fire.

2002ford

If its the green fuse for the head lights, clean all of the grounds. And then buy the HD Headlight harness from LMC. You have grounds on the core support on both sides. There is one above the parking brake. There is also one on each side of your taillights. There may be more but I havent found them. This worked for me.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

No major problems, except for a couple of fuse slots seem to not hold onto the fuse too well,
so sometimes when I am driving, they work themselves loose and the system the fuse is for stops working.

Like today on the freeway on the way home from work, the fuse for the headlights, tailights/brake lights, turn signals, etc.
worked itself loose, so I had no lights on the way home...

Once I got home, I shut off my truck, pulled that fuse, checked to see if it was good and clean,
and shoved it back in there til it was tight enough for everything to work again.

I have checked my electrical system myself, and also have gotten a second opinion from a reputable diesel electrical shop,
and the wiring harness and system is in good shape and good to go.

Also, I have followed the advice here of "if it is electrical, clean it. And if it is rubber, replace it.".
By cleaning every electrical connection I could find, since getting the truck, and even replaced all the fuses at last cleaning.
And that was not all that long ago... I have even replaced some electrical connections with fresh parts...

Thanks...

scottladdy

If its the green fuse for the head lights, clean all of the grounds. And then buy the HD Headlight harness from LMC. You have grounds on the core support on both sides. There is one above the parking brake. There is also one on each side of your taillights. There may be more but I havent found them. This worked for me.
Should be a ground on the passenger side frame rail in front of the front battery. Also, the ground strap at the back of the engine on the passenger side.

wayne pick

Hea Jay, The only thing I can think of to keep the fuses in place is to try to pinch the "tangs" closer togeather on each fuse terminal so they grip spade on the fuse. A small flat blade screwdriver would do the trick. Working from the top and bottom of each tang, try to carefully pry the tangs closer togeather. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, bring the truck to the shop you mentioned or any shop for that matter that does automotive electrical work.

Replacing your fuse block/harness is unnecessary unless it's burned up. Even then it's best left to a professional. Im a pretty good wrench, but electrical is not my strong suit. I would have someone that knows what they are doing replace a harness if need be. Be sure to disconnect the batteries before poking around the fuse block!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks