• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Gauges question.

FridgeBrilliance

Working on the dashboard and am going to go with VDO Cockpit International gauges, which are available in 12V or 24V. I am assuming the gauges are 12V but can't find it in the TMs. Am I correct?

cpf240

The only thing that is 24v on that truck, in its stock form, are the starter and the supply voltage to the glow plugs. Oh, and the NATO slave jump port. Everything else is 12v. Well, unless you have the military radios...

FridgeBrilliance

Also need some help finding some thing elegant to the GEN 1 and GEN 2 lights. I know they need to retain the stuck bulbs, but I would really love to turn them into a surface mount idiot light if anyone has any ideas. I know the subject has been beat to death, but it is a major obstacle for my plans.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am assuming the gauges are 12V but can't find it in the TMs.
TMs are found in the resource section, in the main menu(top of the page).

Schematics are in the back of the -20 and -34 TMs.

FridgeBrilliance

The VDO's I am going to use arent terribly more expensive than the Sunpro's, and they make a tach with the correct RPM range. I used to drive old big rigs and I am kind of gay for gauges all matching and whatnot.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oddly, the stock voltage gauge in the CUCV is a 12v gauge with a resistor attached to both terminals to reduce the voltage(to the gauge).

I don't know why they did not use a standard 24 volt gauge, like in the gensets or M series trucks.

robertss

I bought an 87 diesel chevy P/U insturment cluster in the pick and pull. I put together a couple of simple pics of dash setups that im considering.

Attachments

FridgeBrilliance

Nice work Robert. I guess I should post some drawings soon. I am kind of doubly screwed because I ended up with a CUCV with glow plug bypass, aftermarket voltmeter, and about 8 apparently functionless toggle switches all over the place.

I am making mine all brand new out of sheetmetal to be carced, and filled with all kinds of glorious information relay devices.