• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 gear reduction starter whining wont start

a68cudas

Hello I went to fuel up last night and after fueling up when i went to start my m1009 the starter made a whining noise and wouldnt start. I have a delco remy 28mt 24v starter. I have had the starter on my m1009 over a year now and have never had any issues with the starter. I bought the starter rebuilt and shimmed it when installed it and also bought and bolted up the correct bracket for the gear reduction starter. what would make my 28mt 24v starter whine and not start the m1009? any suggestions on trouble shooting my starter whining no start problem? anyone else run into this same problem? the starter is little over a year and half old and started fine up untill yesterday, then the whining started? i had no clue what the problem was so i had the m1009 towed by flatbed home. any suggestions on trouble shooting my whining starter dilema and why or what could cause this? please feel free to chime in and help me troubleshoot and fix the problem. Thank You:?:

cucvrus

Hard to say. Sounds like the starter needs rebuilt. How many hard starts in winter? How many un-primed fuel starts? Is everything working in the starting system correctly? Are the batteries putting out the correct volts and amps. Amps are very important also. Have the batteries been load tested and the amps checked lately. That is my opinion on things. Changing the relays and such will not make the starter whine unless you have back connections. Which I doubt at this point. I think the starter took the day off and needs some R & R to become reliable again. Just make sure to check all the connections and the batteries and starter. Is it possible that the battery is only getting 12 volts or less then 24? Check it out. Merry Christmas.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would bet on the batterys. My M1008 has also sometimes a whining from the starter and sometimes came just a click from the relay.
With two new 100ah batterys the Problems are gone.
CUCV's doing crazy things without good batterys.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As stated above, check your batteries first.

As stated at the beginning of the troubleshooting section of the TM 9-2320-289-20 tech manual:

Before starting any electrical troubleshooting make sure your batteries are fully charged (and I like to add Load tested)

I was taught this same thing many, many years ago by a very wise mechanic. It has saved many hours of headache.

Another issue is that the starter solenoid or bendix has died. Parts don't seem to last as long as they used too. Usually just long enough for the warranty to expire.

And Merry Christmas.

joshuak

Hello I went to fuel up last night and after fueling up when i went to start my m1009 the starter made a whining noise and wouldnt start. I have a delco remy 28mt 24v starter. I have had the starter on my m1009 over a year now and have never had any issues with the starter. I bought the starter rebuilt and shimmed it when installed it and also bought and bolted up the correct bracket for the gear reduction starter. what would make my 28mt 24v starter whine and not start the m1009? any suggestions on trouble shooting my starter whining no start problem? anyone else run into this same problem? the starter is little over a year and half old and started fine up untill yesterday, then the whining started? i had no clue what the problem was so i had the m1009 towed by flatbed home. any suggestions on trouble shooting my whining starter dilema and why or what could cause this? please feel free to chime in and help me troubleshoot and fix the problem. Thank You:?:
Not on a CUCV, but a truck at work that was missing some teeth on the flywheel, produced a whining sound when you turned the ignition switch to start and it didn't engage. Might be worth checking.

Good luck, happy holidays!

a68cudas

batteries are fully charged. problem was engine vibrated bolts loose. one of the big mounting bolts snapped off. also the lil bracket to block bolt vibrated out and screwed up some threads doing so but that bolt didnt snap off. the starter was only held in place by one very loose mounting bolt that didnt snap. i got the snapped mounting bolt end out of block using dental pick and slowly catching it with pick and turning it out. was surprised that it only took about a min to get snapped bolt end out of block, thats how loose end was from vibrating looose. is the little bolt that bolts the bracket to block on the 28MT starer a m8 1.25x20 bolt?

o1951

Clean threads of oil and use blue locktite on reassembly. Not too strong, can remove bolts if need to. Red is stud lock, I would not use that - need to use heat to remove .

rsh4364

batteries are fully charged. problem was engine vibrated bolts loose. one of the big mounting bolts snapped off. also the lil bracket to block bolt vibrated out and screwed up some threads doing so but that bolt didnt snap off. the starter was only held in place by one very loose mounting bolt that didnt snap. i got the snapped mounting bolt end out of block using dental pick and slowly catching it with pick and turning it out. was surprised that it only took about a min to get snapped bolt end out of block, thats how loose end was from vibrating looose. is the little bolt that bolts the bracket to block on the 28MT starer a m8 1.25x20 bolt?
I crawl under my 1009 every month to check all starter bolts just to be safe.Also a reverse twist drill bit in a cordless speeds up removal.