• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 glow plug drama

southpolie

Hey group,

I'm back with more questions for the diesel experts. I just bought my CUCV and drove it home a few weeks ago. The next day it would turn over and over but not start. This group wisely pointed me towards the glow plugs, which are mostly all dead. I think this may have been due to a bad controller card which I swapped with a new one.

Anyway, I ordered a set of new GP (Wellman 070) which just arrived yesterday. Proceeded to replace today and found that half of them are stuck :-(

Interestingly it is the front and back on each side. The middle ones on each side came out no problem. (btw, passenger side is easy to get at after battery tray is removed) So how to proceed? I'vre read all the FAQs and a lot more and have come to the following:

1. replace half of them and and leave it at that, taking advantage of the fact that I live in sunny southern cal (will it start on only four??? it probably did when I bought it!....)

2. loosen the stuck ones one at a time, lube up with penetrating oil, stuff a towel in front to catch the projectile and crank the engine to try to blow them out? (advantage no broken pieces falling into cylinder. Disadvantage maybe it gets *really* stuck)

3. purchase an extractor tool (or make one), lube up with penetrating oil and try to extract? (worried about pieces breaking off into cylinder. do I need to pull the injectors first just in case?)

Again, I appreciate any sage advise, especially from anyone who has been there already.

Best,

Jerry

ralbelt

1. Will send too much voltage to the good 4 and in short time those will be bad.
2. I have never tried but have read that it works just be careful.
3. Is the prefered way and you probably only have to pull the injector if the tip breaks off so
you can remove the pieces from the prechamber.

southpolie

1. Will send too much voltage to the good 4 and in short time those will be bad.
2. I have never tried but have read that it works just be careful.
3. Is the prefered way and you probably only have to pull the injector if the tip breaks off so
you can remove the pieces from the prechamber.

Thanks for the thoughts! I've read about that voltage concern before. I think I will do the 12v conversion (bypass the resistor on the firewall and hook 12v directly to the GP relay) to avoid this problem. If I can get it started with 4 good GP then I will investigate the 'explosive' route next and report back here.

Jerry

dependable

You should extract failed plugs, They can break off and fall in cylender. Often results in wrist pin failure. I have always been able to get swollen ones out by carefully pulling out with wrench and vice grip while twisting them. If one breaks off, remove fuel injector and retrieve from precombustion chamber with magnet wand. Also you will get rough starts and unburnt diesel smoke with only 4 plugs. Your starter will die sooner.

Wolf.Dose

First: The 6.2 l Diesel finally will start with only one good plug.
Second: Pull the swolen plugs will end in torn of tips. I know this, I had the problem twice. One time the left debris in the swirl chamber did no harm to the engine, the other time I had to take the engine out and remove the injectors to get the debris out.
Third: The original plugs are for a maximum of 6 seconds glowing. They do not have a regulator built in. With the controller card it can be a maximum of 2 minutes, if the card is ok. However, these cards are junk and after more than 20 years for the contacts are that bad, that the controller does not work propperly any more.
Forth: An other possibility is to use the 24 V plugs of the Humvee. The have a regulator. You have to change the connectors and bypass the register on the dash and can throw out the glow plug controller. Some M1009 owner did it this way over here.
Wolf

stampy

When mine went I was unable to get time to change them for a few weeks. A (very slight) shot of either will start it until you can get the plugs removed. Of course I have a ram air setup on mine so that helps, as far as ease of getting either in without opening the hood, as well as distributing it in the airstream

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several posts here are incorrect. Please know what your saying when posting info. Mis-information and opinions are not very helpful with technical issues.

Wolf.Dose

dependable,
your calculation is correct, if they are switched in line. However, they are parallel....
As far as I know, the original ones are 2.3 Volts for very quick glowing success (at least 2.3 V is the reading on the plugs.). The civilian 12 Volt run on a 12 V system and the Humvee run on a 24 V system.
Wolf

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The AC60, Wellman 070, and all other GP's for the CUCV are rated for 10.5 volts!

southpolie

glow plug drama- update

Thanks all for the tips and discussion. I am a lot more confident getting down and dirty with this thing having had some feedback from the experts.

I was able to start with just the four working glow plugs but it was a bit of a struggle. The comment about burning up the starter is well taken. The other four need to be replaced.

Tried to start again the next day and no go, it was too cold.

Yesterday was an unusually hot day here so gave it another go and she fired right up. I think >75F or so starts ok on the four GP. Drove around the block and noticed some radiator fluid dripping in the drive when returned. Topped off the radiator today and it just poured out the bottom. Looks like it is leaking from just under the left alternator bracket. I'm guessing water pump? Doesn't look too hard to get at so will be digging into the manuals again. This is turning into a real project!

Jerry